Ducks and Dobermans

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by eggybritches, Jan 24, 2010.

1. eggybritches

eggybritches Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Central Florida
    I've been contemplating getting rid of one of my drakes. He's just getting too bossy now that the hormones have kicked in. Even so much as to chase the dog.

Someone forgot to tell the dog that when a duck chases you it's not because he likes you.

duck-dog chase

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    My dogs killed my ducks. (by playing just like yours is...) It broke my heart. I'm sorry..but i'd not let that dog chase those ducks... just my opinion...
    Cute critters! I'd hate for you to be in my shoes someday.. My duck Plucky was my little buddy..she followed me everywhere. I still miss her so badly.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
  3. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Ive got videos of my ducks doing the same thing with my schnauzer - just not that active.

Im sorry you had a bad experience rehen [​IMG]

My ducks preen my dog, chase her away from her dog food, drink out of her water dish, and follow her around the house. SHe basically helps me raise all of my animals lol.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
  4. houndit

houndit There is no H or F in Orpington!

Jul 13, 2008
    Braymer Missouri
    Careful. That dog may kill your duck. Even in play.
    I do like Runners, for their personality. I had a drake who used to attack turkeys who were rude to his wives.

5. Rosecomb-Ryan

Rosecomb-Ryan East Indie Crazed

Apr 12, 2008
    Sacramento CA
    Yep I would be careful you might have a dead duck. You dog could accidently step on the duck or get too rough and bite the duck even a small bite could kill the duck!

6. pardygwyn

pardygwyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Looks like your dog is having fun, at least. But I'll agree with everyone else who's chipped in here: one misstep or -snap and you won't have to worry about rehoming your duck anymore.

7. Sweetfolly

Sweetfolly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Kildare, Wisconsin
    eggybritches - What a well-mannered Doberman you have! It's adorable how your dog play-bows at the ducks, inviting them into the chase! I wish my German Shepherd played with other critters that nicely! I don't trust him within 100 feet of the duck pens!

And, yes, like everyone else has so forcefully pointed out, it's dangerous. Having a large-breed dog in the same house as a cat is dangerous too, no matter how well they get along. But, obviously you trust your dog - and it looks like your dog's having a great time! [​IMG]

8. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    I agree with the others.

You soon won't need to worry about rehoming your duck. You will be burying it.

9. veronicasmom

veronicasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    Gorgeous dog, I miss my black and rust, cropped and docked Dobes. Currently have a neurotic fawn, natural ear Doberman. Love her to pieces, but that vid made me miss the "classic" Dobermans I had.
    And I do agree, even the best trained dog could inadvertently hurt a duck. Even a bossy drake.
    But, wow, he is drop deal beautiful.
    Adorable doxie too. My family used to have them when I was a kid. Love them, they are just so sweet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by