ducks and dogs, will they ever be friends??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Americano Blue, Jan 2, 2015.

1. Americano Blue

Americano Blue Mush on!

Apr 14, 2014
    Hello Spring
    My Coop
    I have a couple dogs and ducks. They don't get along at all, is there any way I could help them become friends, or at least not kill each other??

2. Jessica89

Jessica89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2014
    North Wales
    We have two dogs... Tilly is so placid and she doesn't bother with them at all but Bobbi likes to chase them.. he thinks its a game!
    We had to put him on a lead and say 'no' everything he went to go for them and reward him everytime he was near the ducks and didn't go for them.
    He is a lot better now but we still always keep an eye on him!

3. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    I have 3 dogs and they now get along with ducks. It took a long time and I was very careful at first. I never let them ever chase my ducks. First everyone was introduced through a cage and if my dogs showed any interest in the ducks that behavior was corrected. After a few weeks we moved on to letting the dogs be outside without me and the ducks in their cage. Then we moved to take one dog out at a time on a leash while the ducks were allowed to free range. Then moved to all 3 dogs and then to just one dog without any lead to working up to all 3. Every time one of the dogs would show interest they were correct with a "no". My dogs mind me very well though and that's all it took. Now I have ducklings so we started back over.

4. patolocoeggs

patolocoeggs Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2013
    Lake Orion, MI
    I wouldn't allow dogs to be around ducks without supervision unless you raised the puppies alongside the ducks. Many dog breeds can be unpredictable and will revert back to instinct and kill. Ducks have no protection against predatory animals. Just looking out for the ducks :)

1 person likes this.
  5. Americano Blue

Americano Blue Mush on!

Apr 14, 2014
    Hello Spring
    My Coop
    OK.

6. coonhoundmama87

coonhoundmama87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Train your dogs right and wrong. Lots of supervision. The only time my dogs do anything is when my drakes fight. My coonhound breaks it up and stands guard until its over lol. She knows not to actually hurt them tho because we watched her. She'd never intentionally hurt any of our animals. Our rat terrier is too scared to hurt them. The mama ducks have gotten him many times :)

7. lllisalllisa

lllisalllisa New Egg

Mar 24, 2014
    I have the reverse problem. My dogs would never harm my chickens or ducks but the Indian Runner 6 month old drake is obsessed with my male Border Collie - he chases him and mouths him - trying to get the Border Collie's attention. My BC just allows it and I have started corrected Splash the duck since obviously Apollo the BC isn't going to.

8. Americano Blue

Americano Blue Mush on!

Apr 14, 2014
    Hello Spring
    My Coop
    I rather have that then mine honestly

9. Richb353

Richb353 Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]
    Rusty the Golden is so old, he couldn't catch them if he tried. He doesn't try. When I first got ducklings, I held one close to him and he tried to nip at it. I gave him a firm "No", which he understood from his puppy days, and haven't had any problems since.

10. Americano Blue

Americano Blue Mush on!

Apr 14, 2014
    Hello Spring
    My Coop
    aww cute dog!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by