Ducks and egg hunts

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by CelticOaksFarm, Sep 21, 2011.

1. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Any tips or tricks/hints to make egg finding from the ducks easier? All of calls are in breeding pens or flight pens, the LF ducks free range all day and go inside at night. What is a good way to get these girls to lay where we want, or is easier to get to?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:Well i have put up chicken wire on any structure that they can crawl or walk under. But I don't let my ducks out till after 7:am and most of the time either they have already laid or are in the process of doing so. give them a nest inside their house and most likely they'll use it. I have my duck house sectioned off into 6 bedrooms where my goose and duck have one my 2 drakes each have their own separate room [it's like a horse stall but of course smaller, and I have 2 girls sharing a bedroom each, then my 3 news hens have their own room. Can't have the gander and 2 drakes sleeping in the same space.

3. CelticOaksFarm

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Ok, good to know. They are being let out way earlier than that currently so will change that up starting tomorrow. Thank you for the tips.

Shellie

4. zzGypsy

zzGypsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    are you sure they're laying yet? if you are, you might just keep them locked in on a saturday, checking on them every half hour or so until you get all the eggs you expect. then you'll know what time they're usually done. last summer, my ducks were laying until 8:30 or 9 am, but I've had other groups that were done by 7. once they're used to laying in their night-pen nests, some will return there to lay even when they're free ranging. right up until they are ready to go broody, when they'll find a spot to nest in you can't possibly get to and lay a full clutch there. [​IMG]

5. CelticOaksFarm

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Well those we hatched or ordered are not old enough, the new flock the previous owner said the girls were laying. It hasn't been a week yet though since they got here. Will give them settle in time and longer time inside in the mornings to see what we get or don't.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by