Ducks and emergency prep

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by TLWR, Jun 8, 2011.

1. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    As hurricane season has arrived again, time to figure out evac plans in case they are needed.
    I can head to a couple of different AFBs, but have decided I won't be doing that as I'll have to kennel the dogs there and I'd just rather not. DH has to stay here, so the dogs and ducks and I are on our own.
    I'm not sure there are duck friendly hotels and friends inland that have offered up a place have dogs that are not likely so duck safe. So I'm looking for suggestions for evacuating with dogs and ducks. I will have to take the truck and the dogs will get the backseat (and maybe the front since I'm not so thrilled with 2 of them riding together in the back with no supervision). Which pretty much means ducks travel in the back of the truck.

I have a large wire dog kennel that I can strap in and ducks can ride in that and stay in that in the back of the truck if I go to a hotel. Or I can get them the plastic airline kennels and use that instead.
    Just looking for options for ducks on the road in the back of the truck - how to keep them safe and protected and whatnot.
    And interested to hear if others have evac plans that include ducks and what their plans are.

2. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

When I went to pick up ducks from Curiositycat I had a HUGE pet taxi that I put the ducks in, I htink 1 of them would be better than a cage as a cage they can see more as in vehicles driving past and it might scare them, plus a cage might be a bit drafty and ruffle a few feathers. The pet tazi I have is for a big dog like yours and it works great and they will have mostly cover and only be able to see out the front cage type door. Fair enough I have a topper on my truck but we have taken many a goat in the back of my neighbours open truck in that pet taxi.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by