1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

ducks and food

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by MNmommy, Apr 28, 2009.

1. MNmommy

MNmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2009
    central MN
    I have 2 call ducks that I got last week and they are just over a week old and right now they are eating chick food but saw I could feed them greens. I have a question do they need grit like chickens do? I gave then a little ripped up spinach and they loved it but didn't want to feed them too much incase they need grit.

is there a list of what ducks can eat???

2. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    Hi hun. I belong to a pet duck group on yahoo that has a list of foods to feed ducks. It tells you what to feed when. I feed my 2 week old call ducks greens and I add a little grit in with their regular food.

At 3 weeks old they say to transition th them from chick starter to duck grower because of the high protein of the chick starter. Ducks need less protein than chickens do.

If you do a search for yahoo groups, the name of the group is PetDucksRUs. There is alot of vital information there and I'm really glad I joined.

Laurie

3. headred

headred Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    Lawrence
    I mix the starter crumbles with scratch and then they roam the yard. Also fill in with kitchen vege scraps. They like anything you give em!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by