ducks and foxes

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Just Hatch duck, Feb 4, 2017.

1. Just Hatch duck

Just Hatch duck Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2017
    hi, i have one duck and she's around 8 months old and has been laying for a while now, one night a fox chewed through her cage and they started fighting and then when i ran out a fox had her by the neck but i scared it off so it dropped her and ran off she had some miner cuts but was fine but i was a bit worried about her neck so i cleaned it up and put a bandage around it and them a few weeks later i open it up and everything was healed nicely but her neck was a completely different colour to the rest of her body, and that didn't worry me much i thought it was normal but a few months later now patches and patches of the same different colour is all around her so she's half one colour and half another one and I'm wondering what that means and i don't think it can be shedding because she's a year old

2. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    The feathers are coming in a different color, or the skin is a different color?

What kind of duck is she?

I am guessing you were using chicken wire. Hopefully you have replaced it with something stronger!

3. Bills vs Beaks

Bills vs Beaks Overrun With Chickens

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    X2
    And are you sure it's a she?

4. GoldenFlight

GoldenFlight Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Sep 25, 2015
    Minnesota
    Is she a wood duck? If you have pictures that would help a lot.

5. Just Hatch duck

Jan 31, 2017
    she's definitely not a wood duck, i was told she was a pekin but now I'm kind of thinking she's a khaki campbell/ she's got a browny pattern, this photo dosen't really show her browny patches but i assure you they're there.

6. Just Hatch duck

Jan 31, 2017
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and this is her as a duckling

7. GoldenFlight

Sep 25, 2015
    Minnesota
    Sorry I thought she might be a wood duck from your profile pic. Yes, she is definitely a Khaki Campbell. If the different colored new feathers are a dark brown then she is just molting (Replacing old feathers).

8. Bills vs Beaks

Bills vs Beaks Overrun With Chickens

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    X2
    They do get lighter and darker feathers, so I dont think you have to worry if that whats happening

9. GoldenFlight

Sep 25, 2015
    Minnesota
    Are Mildred just went from light to very dark again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by