Ducks and Geese in new brooder, together again (PICS)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by raindrop, Apr 24, 2008.

1. raindrop

raindrop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2008
    Western Oregon
    I had the 5 ducklings and 2 goslings separate due to space issues. We started our mini kitchen remodel, so I took advantage of an empty and soon to be redone woodstove hearth.

[​IMG]

I had the ducklings and goslings together briefly in a kiddie pool and the goslings were chasing the ducklings and biting the backs of their necks whenever they tried to eat the grass. I was worried the ducks would get hurt.
    Once the goslings were gone, the poor little ducks were beside themselves. I was getting them new water, and had a visitor, looking for the geese.

[​IMG]

All together and happy. They get along fine in here, much better than in the circular brooder.

[​IMG]

Hope to get them outside with a heat lamp in a week or so, once my electric net gets here.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2008
  2. DuckyBoys

DuckyBoys Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Colorado
    awww that poor little lonely hookbill! Your brooder looks so fresh and clean - I'm jealous! Everyday I ask myself how much longer until I can put them in the barn...wishfull thinking. [​IMG]

That hearth is very pretty by the way. [​IMG]

3. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    wow what a nice brooder mine is a cardboard box

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2008
  4. DuckyBoys

Apr 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I like how in the first brooder pic its all nice and clean - the grass is stacked neatly on the plate...and then...the ducks arrive! HAHA [​IMG] and pandamonium breaks! Grass is everywhere, water in the shavings...

Gotta luv 'em. [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 24, 2008
  5. raindrop

Feb 10, 2008
    Western Oregon
    Well, I can say that 24 hours later the brooder is not clean anymore. Just finished raking it and adding new shavings, and I can say that the byproduct of rapid growth is really quite astonishing! Ah, but the blueberry bushes will be happy with their mulch of "enhanced" pine shavings!

6. ZykloniaDark-GothikRanchr

ZykloniaDark-GothikRanchr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Saint Cloud Florida
    I really like your recycled waterers!!! I never thought about doing that...your little ones are absolutely adorable!!!

7. raindrop

Feb 10, 2008
    Western Oregon
    Those waterers are SO MUCH less messy than the "traditional" poultry waterers. I got the idea here somewhere. I think they like that they can dunk their head in.
    These are my 3rd set, I have to start over with taller and bigger openings every week or so. Luckily I have a 2 year old that drinks a ton of milk so plenty of milk jugs are available.

8. DuckyBoys

Apr 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I am going to try those waterers as well. My brooder is astonishingly messy right now and they've only been in this one a week!

[​IMG]

I never thought of using the shavings as mulch - do you think they'd all blow away in high winds? Worth a try on the stuff in the backyard at any rate.

I got a letter in the mail from Holderread's yesterday and they are shipping my order May 5th! yay - more ducks and geese....

.... [​IMG] can't wiat for them to move out of the house and into the barn!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by