Ducks and geese not eating.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by 2dancingrats, Dec 30, 2009.

1. 2dancingrats

2dancingrats Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2009
    Bay City, Michigan
    Its been extremely cold here and my birds willl go outdoors, but come right back in. They haven't been eating much at all and I'm afraid they'll loose weight during this cold snap. We have tried some "treats" but they don't even want that. Their food is scattered all around their bowl. The ducks love earthworms, but the bait stores don't carry them in the winter there is no way to dig for them in this weather. Also, the ducks (Indian Runners) will stand on one foot and put the other one under their wing. This makes be believe they really are cold. Mostly, I want to know when to worry about their lack of interest in food. They seem fine and alert, so far.

2. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

Try a big tub of warm water with cooked peas in it. We always make more peas than we can eat, and the next morning, I put them in the ducks 3 gallon tub with 3 gallons of hot water (as hot as my faucet will make it... cools of in about 3 seconds when it hits the tub) my ducks LOOOOVE it, and shovel it into their beaks as fast as possible.

3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    My ducks are not eating well, either. I am interested in what the experts have to say on the matter. It has been brutally cold where I'm at. My ducks are barely leaving their house.

4. suburbanduckmom

suburbanduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Belmont, CA
    One of my ducks occasionally becomes disinterested in food. She will always eat hard boiled eggs or other protein heavy snacks. Then she will go back to her regular diet.

Are they still swimming and cleaning themselves as regularly as before?

5. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

Mine wont stop eating [​IMG] they're turning into duckie sausages [​IMG]
    they beg for treats everytime i go out there too.

6. tia

tia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Valdez, Alaska
    Peas Peas and more Peas. Mine associate me with peas... and are really disappointed when I arrive without them.

7. 2dancingrats

Jun 17, 2009
    Bay City, Michigan
    They haven't been swimming because their pool was frozen. We just got a de-icer and broke the ice out of the pool but haven't refilled it yet. They do have an extra large dog bowl they will dip into and wash up. They also have a big bucket they can swirl their heads in, although we've been changing it twice a day because it gets pretty frosty.
    I'm going to try the peas and also some other fresh greens from the market. Thank you everyone for your tips.

8. chickensducks&agoose

It's been super cold here too, in VT, my ducks only make it a few steps before they fall over and stick their feet in their armpits. but they LOOOOVE their layer pellets and the PEAS!!!! I also put down bunches of straw for them to stand on instead of the snow... makes them happy. Also they love warm water to drink and splash around in, cheerios, cracked corn with more warm water before bedtime, and after my husband has to go to afghanistan, maybe some indoor bathtime!

9. 2dancingrats

Jun 17, 2009
    Bay City, Michigan
    Re: peas. Do you use frozen peas? Will they eat split peas if you cook them?

10. chickensducks&agoose

I don't know about split peas... I think fresh/frozen are much better. Canned has too much sodium. I either give them leftover frozen peas from dinner (that have been cooked) or I throw a bag of cheap frozen peas in a bowl of water overnight and do that in the AM.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by