Ducks and Goats??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by brenna, May 17, 2010.

1. brenna

brenna In the Brooder

Apr 20, 2010
    Does anyone here have goats in addition to their ducks?
    I would really like to get a couple of Alpine wethers (fixed male dairy goats) to keep as pets and environmentally friendly lawn-mowers [​IMG]

Would they be able to range in the same pasture area as my ducks (and maybe chickens)? I haven't been able to find any info on whether the goats would be aggressive towards chickens/ducks or be a friendly happy family. The goats would have their own nighttime shelter, so they wouldn't be penned up in close-quarters. I am just wondering if they could safely share a fenced-in area.

-Brenna

2. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    When I first started out I had two goats and three ducks in the same pen together. The only problems i ever had were when te goats would go to hide from the rain and would trample the duck nests, scatter eggs, or step on a broody so they could take over the dog house or whateverit was they wanted. Other than that my ducks and goats got alongfine.

3. Horsefly

Horsefly Songster

Jan 11, 2010
    Louisiana
    I have my ducks and goats together. Granted there is a huge pond that the ducks are on most of the day, but they pretty much ignore each other. Sometimes my alpha doe will be iritated at the ducks and chase them in the pond but I don't think she would hurt them. I think it works out pretty good because the ducks go behind the goats at feeding time and pick up any leftover or spilled grain.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by