1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ducks and GOATS!!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Ducks-love-me, Dec 26, 2013.

1. Ducks-love-me

Ducks-love-me Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2013
    My ducks stay at my neighbors pen because my dog isn't nice to new visitors. She takes care of them but every summer they get goats and let them go back to the original owner in the fall (like a goat rental ) my ducks live in that pen so would they be okay with the goats for those 2 seasons? Or should I move them away from the goats? :welcome

2. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    My main flock go around my sheep and horses, so if accustomed to each other i see no harm but when you mean live, do the ducks have adequate feed/water and space as well.

I am still somewhat confused on why you don't keep them? if your dog is a problem, can you not keep it away from them. You say you'd move them away from the goats? to where and how...

3. Ducks-love-me

Nov 30, 2013
    I would put them in a sheltered separate cage at my neighbors if they. Wouldn't be okay with goats. They have plenty of space for both but they aren't used to eachother. They were stranded. We own a lake behind our house and someone left them there. they would've died in the winter so we took them in. Should I build a separate cage or just leave them with the goats?:welcome

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    You might want a dividing fence, like temporary fence if the goats will respect that. I would have the area separated. How big are the ducklings now?

5. Ducks-love-me

Nov 30, 2013
    They are about full grown :) I will probably separate an area :p :welcome

They both only eat veggies and grain so they wouldn't eat each other but to make sure neither is injured I will separate an area probably.

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Yep goats could trample the ducks if they got excited or scared, Best to make a separate area for the ducks for their safety.

7. Ducks-love-me

Nov 30, 2013
    Okay that's what I will probably do.

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    [​IMG]

9. Ducks-love-me

Nov 30, 2013
    :welcome

10. veronicasmom

veronicasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    Besides there is NO possible way to keep the goats from eating the ducks food. I mean NO way. I have goats and ducks. If I do not pick up the duck food, there is a goat in it immediately. Therefore, I have fat goats. Grrrrrrr.
    I would not house my ducks and goats together. Ducks are way too messy. Goats are not all that tidy either, but the duck poop is so sloppy and if they poop in the goat water, and the goats can't drink it, then that's a whole other issue.
    My goats can be out and free ranging together, they are fine, but feeding and housing needs to be separate, imo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by