ducks and hawks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by TLWR, Feb 12, 2014.

1. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    I was missing a chicken today. Found piles of feathers and then my poor oliver about 200' away. DH went and got her body for me so we could bury her.
    Pretty sure it was a hawk.
    Oliver was a polish chicken, so not so great about seeing stuff from above.

I'm concerned about the remaining 3 chickens ( who do see stuff from above) and the 5 ducks.
    They are free ranging. We knew one day something would get somebody.

Do I need ot keep the birds cooped up tomorrow or a few days - short of a pen with some type of top, what is my best defense?

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I would tighten security for at least a few days. Miss Lydia lost someone a little while back and has been trying some reflective tape.

And, TLWR, [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  3. Indyrun

Indyrun Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2014
    Brisbane Australia
    Not sure about Hawks, but a big plastic snake keeps other birds away.

4. laughingdog

laughingdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2011
    Newport Tennessee
    Dogs. real dogs.. shepherds, collies, cattle dogs, jack russel terriers even (the larger thick bodied working wire haired old breed). Only thing that's worked great as they do without making a fort knox poultry yard for six acres. only thing that works completely. my shepherd and collie even let babies snuggle under on and around for heat and steal feed crumbs from out of mouths and bowls, learning my dogs are safe areas to go. to/under when preds (even other dogs) are around. easy, economical, and hassle free pretty much once set up, especially for free ranging. bears can get into pretty much anything, as can least weasel and rodents. great horned owl can scare till the birds stick heads out through wire then they just pop them off. my neighbors and friends have had all troubles. I live in the TN mountains now (was a yankee city boy), and my dogs have protected my muscovy ducks, chickens, and pigeons ect,from many things, most problems i had from preds being fewer types but those seemingly more frequent. some preds will learn can no longer get close to your poultry, that they cannot get easy meal there anymore, and stop trying till see opportunity again. Access to spots not easy for bops to get them from under, spread around to go to if see bop or already chased, like blueberry bushes ect, may help as some do for. chickens, then the birds and you can then have berries.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  5. Finny

Finny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2014
    Sorry about your lost:(

I would try predator tape. Put predator tape around the areas where your ducks and chickens free range. The tape is reflective when sun hits it and makes a noise when the winds hits it. Hawks do not like shiny things or noisy things, so it should keep your birds safe from hawks even while they are free ranging.

Hope this helps!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by