Ducks and heat

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by suburbanduckmom, Aug 25, 2010.

1. suburbanduckmom

suburbanduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Belmont, CA
    We have had a really cool summer so far but the past few days it has gotten really hot. We went from 70s to high 90s. We are keeping lots of water available and the ducks have shade.

They have a lot of down still and are panting. They aren't eating as much as they usually do. I think the suddenness of the weather change is making it hard on them.

Is there anything else I can do to keep them cool?

2. chicken boy sam

chicken boy sam Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2009
    I've heard of people dumping lots of ice on pavement for geese to play in, maybe it'll work for ducks! Also, keep their water cool and offer them plenty of shade. Are they swimming on their own yet? You might also want to get your hose out and spray them a bit with cold water, which duckies love!

3. suburbanduckmom

suburbanduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Belmont, CA
    They do swim. The muscovy doesn't like it as much but she does dunk her head in.

They also have a bit of mud to splash around.

4. chicken boy sam

chicken boy sam Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2009
    Keep their water cool with ice cubes, and also give them some frozen peas while they're in there.

5. ilovemuscovy

ilovemuscovy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Quote:I'm from the So-Cal area and we are having triple digit heat right now. The same thing has happened to my ducks. They just won't eat. I think they're just too exhausted that they don't even have an appetite. I'm sure after this major heat wave subsides they will return back to normal.

P.S. Having a nice little pool for them to bathe in or at least hosing them down helps a lot.

6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    On stinking hot days here I do all of the above (cool water for swimming, shade, cold peas, ice cubes in water), and I serve up finely chopped lettuce in icy cold water. I also cover their oyster shell in cold water. They spend time dabbling in the cold water and I think that helps cool them down, as it keeps their bills in the water for a while.

7. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

They eat less in heat to slow down their metabolism, which will reduce their body temperature a tiny bit. It helps them. They usually try to find a shady place and just sit and move as little as possible. The kiddie pool also helps to cool down. I serve my ducks refrigerated watermelon and they just love it. They get it when it is either late afternoon or when it hits 95. Right now I can get a large watermelon for 2.00 at walmart. That is enough for 4 days with 9 ducks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by