1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ducks and mud puddles

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Shura, Oct 8, 2009.

1. Shura

Shura Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2009
    Rockport
    So I searched on the net about it but didn't see to find an answer. What is it with ducks and mud puddles. It's raining pretty hard here, and our 2 Cayuga's are running around rooting in mud puddles all super happy. They have done it before, where they would rather play in the mud puddle made by overflowed kiddie pool than in the pool itself. Why do they do that? And is it normal, or do I have insane ducks?

2. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Quote:Isn't that redundant?

3. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    It is more fun to play in the mud.
    There is often no reason for why ducks do what they do.

Duck just are. [​IMG]

4. Black Feather

Black Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    I think it's because you can find goodies to eat in the mud.....a nice clean pool just doesn't cut it.

5. classroomducks

classroomducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2009
    Fort Worth, Tx
    More fun to make mom clean the water? [​IMG]

6. protodon

protodon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2009
    Nottingham,PA
    Yeah I also think it is because there is stuff to eat in the mud. I have holes all over my yard because of my rooting ducks.

7. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    They are just like young kids. Just wanna play in the mud puddles! [​IMG]
    Behind our house we have a huge hill with a drop off. Waterfalls are pouring down off the hill and the ducks and geese are running under it swimming in the puddles it is creating. So far here in KS. we've had 3 inches of rain fall and it is still raining.[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2009
  8. newchickmom09

newchickmom09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2009
    ARIZONA
    Mine LOVE it when they get puddles to play in. They dig little holes and find all kids of bug I didn't even know I had. [​IMG] When it is raining they think it is play time, just the way ducks are...water lovin birds. [​IMG]

9. Feathered Wings

Feathered Wings Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Georgia
    In the wild ducks would doodle in the egde of ponds and lakes to catch small fish and other small aquatic critters.
    They would also eat the small duck weed and other floating greenery as well.

It's a natural instinct [​IMG]

10. priss

priss Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2009
    Isle of Wight
    Mine like to get a snoot fulla water and spit it onto the mud to create their own mud puddles. I can't tell you the last time Doogie actually had any white feathers, hub gave him a scrub yesterday and yet sure enough this mornin he was disgustin again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by