Ducks and new puppy.

peepsandquacks

Songster
8 Years
Apr 22, 2011
So...I got a new chihuahuah puppy today. This thing weighs maybe 2- 3 lbs tops.

Well I come home, and Donny the Rouen is in the living room. I put the new puppy on the floor and he quietly sniffs up to the duck. Donald rears his head back like a cobra, fluffs up and starts growling/hissing, then lunges forward at the puppy! I don't think he bit him, but poor little puppy starts helping and crying like he was just ran over by a truck! Donny is about 8 lbs and 3x bigger then the puppy. He is being a bully.

I put Donny to bed, because th puppy needs to adjust to his surroundings, and Donald is just being....
A jerk.

How have you handled new animals with your duck? I have a rabbit, and Donny hissed at first, but now they play with each other. I am hoping the puppy and Donny will be the same with time.

Quote:
Our indoor duckling 11 weeks, tries to bite our dogs ever chance he gets. I move him away from them to keep him from doing it, but he has several times. They haven't been agressive towards him except to growl if he gets close to their food bowls or their beds, but he doesn't want to be friends I don't think. I hope yours turns out better than ours has. They have all be together since our duckling was hatched.

Sounds like my ducks and my sister's cat (Puffy.) I was holding him and sitting in the duck pen and Ivan (the leader of the flock; he thinks he's tough
lol.png
) Comes over and attacks him. Poor Puffy was minding his own business. He's never bothered the ducks and they hate him, yet the dog (who isn't fond of them) is their "buddy". That's your drake's territory and that puppy was a predator/intruder. Ducks are weird about that kind of thing. I guess that's why we love them so much though.
tongue.png

Introducing animals is pretty much your issue from what I hear. The duck doesn't know what the puppy is. He just knows that it is hyper and annoying and trying to move in on his space. I would try to put a harness on your duck and dog and allow them to spend time together at leash length. This allows the animals to get used to eat other. You can also try having them leash and giving treats to your duck so he sees the puppy as a positive. Most ducks do not care about dogs if dogs do not care about them. So watch your dog. YOU may know he's playing. But a bouncing head on approach is not a behavior ducks share with each other, better yet dogs. Best senario would be them ignoring each other. Small or not puppies shouldn't play with ducks. Puppies bite, get hit with wings, pull out feathers, it's just not a good idea for them to "play". This doesn't mean that they can't live in the same house together and coexist but even little dogs can kill big birds. I had a couple who had a mini poodle that killed chickens twice it's size if not bigger.

Over all, chihuahuah are loud dogs. They yell like they've been hit by a truck if they have been hit by a feather. (Dog trainer for ten years XD here) so please hear me in saying that seperating them is a BAD idea. They don't understand the concept of time outs or being put up for nasty behavior. If they do get into a tizzy, clap your hands, made a shrill noise, throw some keys on the floor, or my favorite, shake a tin can with coins in it. The noise should distract the two from their fight, then you can step in and create some space between them. Other than that (like I said above) encourage them to ignore each other. Maybe put them in side by side crates at night. Give treats when you see them focusing on something else or playing nicely. Time will fix this problem if you don't back down! Good luck
smile.png

Thanks for the advice! Donny stayed in his bed all night. This morning I let him out while the puppy was in his kennel. Donny walked over and checked him out. Then after about an hour, I let them out together. Every time the puppy did his puppy play (leap at the duck and bark) I clapped my hands loud and yelled 'no!'. Now an hour after being out together both animals are tolerating each other and the puppy isn't barking or leaping at the duck. And the duck isn't pecking or attacking the dog (as long as puppy stays over a foot away). Donny is slowly walking towards the puppy, like he's curious about him. He gets about 6 inches away and looks like he's going to peck him, and I push him back.

I do have to say chihuahuahs are very quick learners and smart! I have never owned one and I am amazed at how fast they learn.

So at least we are doing better then before!

Maybe your duck is trying to let your puppy know he's going to be alpha no matter what. You should see my alpha Khaki run my 150 pound Great Dane up the stairs. It's amazing to see such a small animal assert dominance over such a large animal.

Glad to hear there is improvments! They are very smart dogs and crafty too!
lol.png
There may be worse days than others but in a week or so everyone should have the new behavior down pat! Have fun, chihauhaus are a blast!

Quote:
Haha that would be awesome to see. Well Donny was here first so he should be alpha. Maybe he will keep little gizmo (puppy) in check for us
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom