Ducks and pellets.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by cluckcluckluke, Dec 26, 2012.

1. cluckcluckluke

cluckcluckluke Overrun With Chickens

Will my new ducks be able to eat my hens layer pellets or do i have to get a "NEW SPECIAL" duck feed or something.
    If it turns out i do have to get a special duck food can i still give the ducks layer pellets and then just buy them some easy or readily available proteins, vitamins etc that the ducks will need.

2. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    how old are your ducks?

3. cluckcluckluke

I'm not sure yet but am aiming for ducks either laying or just starting to lay.
    They will probably be Runners or Campbell's.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
  4. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    adult female ducks are fine on layer pellets, young ducks need starter feed. Dont forget to provide grit and oyster shell in separate containers as well.

5. cluckcluckluke

Oh this is good news thank you. Ive been both told and read that if i free range my poultry they don't need grit or oyster shells as they will find it themselves.

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

They probably won't find oyster shell by themselves, though. I keep a dog dish supplied with crushed oyster shell out all the time, because I do NOT give my flock layer feed. I have chickens (including four roosters), ducks, geese and turkeys so the flock gets Nutrena All Flock pellets.

7. CelticOaksFarm

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    we dont feed layer either, but it is OK. All mazuri waterfowl feed for the ducks and geese here. We dont give bowls of shell because it is found in our dirt (Island in Florida) but most dont have that luxury.

8. cluckcluckluke

So i could get an All Flock Pellet and give that to my chickens and ducks???

9. CelticOaksFarm

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    yes, just make sure you offer grit and oyster shell in separate containers free choice to the birds.

10. harriedhomemaker

harriedhomemaker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2011
    That is what I feed my ducks, chickens, and turkeys also. I supplement with grit and oyster shell.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by