Ducks and Ponds

QuackSpeak

Songster
Jan 1, 2017
Okay, so I'm getting new ducks sometime this year. Because we don't have a good place for the ducks to really swim, in deep water, we were wondering if we could take the ducks to a private pond. It's safe, no dogs allowed, etc... But when the ducks are in the water, will they come back without us having to go swimming? What would be the best way to do this? Can any of you see problems with this? Thank you!

I'm wondering about a pond next door. I have a stream about 500yrds back too but it's heavily wooded

Okay, so no pond... We'll probably just buy them a stock tank or something, to swim in.
2 or 3 ten dollar kiddie pools are good too...look for sales and get em cheap. That way you dont have to drop 60-80 bucks on one thing, and everyone can still swim (like my Khakis and Saxonies, who WONT swim together
roll.png
)

2 or 3 ten dollar kiddie pools are good too...look for sales and get em cheap. That way you dont have to drop 60-80 bucks on one thing, and everyone can still swim (like my Khakis and Saxonies, who WONT swim together
roll.png
)

Were your Khakis and Saxonies raised separately, or are they just being silly? Cute little duckies who won't share...Reminds me of my brother and I
big_smile.png

We have a kiddie pool, it's a plastic purple one left over from when we were small enough to be able to swim in it, I guess. If you sat next to the ducks while they were swimming, by the time you were done, it'd look like you had been swimming too! But the kiddie pool is really dirty and run-down, so we were going to get a new one for the new ducks, and then thought that, since ducks love swimming so much, maybe they should have something bigger? That's when the pond thing came up, and then the matter of a new pool, etc. The ducks are controlling us before they're even ordered!

They were raised separately (the kcs are two months older), but now they free range together fine. It's just the pools they get pushy over lol

The problem I've found is stock tanks are deeper and less surface area, because they were made for drinking not swimming

Oh yes, ducks will control you!
I'm thinking of making a big pond down at the end of the pasture later this summer

Last edited:
They were raised separately (the kcs are two months older), but now they free range together fine. It's just the pools they get pushy over lol

The problem I've found is stock tanks are deeper and less surface area, because they were made for drinking not swimming

Oh yes, ducks will control you!
I'm thinking of making a big pond down at the end of the pasture later this summer

Lol silly duckies
Hmm... Good point, maybe we'll stick with kiddie pools.
Yay, a pond!
bow.gif
I'm sure the muddy duck in your avatar will appreciate that!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom