Ducks and Roosters

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by jtn42248, Mar 3, 2014.

1. jtn42248

jtn42248 Overrun With Chickens

I am about to receive 6 ducks that are paired together (they are all day old ducklings). They are being shipped from Ideal Poultry with rooster chicks for warmth. Can the ducks pairs and roosters be raised together or should they be cooped apart from one another?

2. BugGuy

BugGuy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2014
    OOOOO, be careful putting ducklings and chicks together. We did that and the ducklings were much bigger than the chicks and the ducklings would grab the beaks of the chicks and try to rip them off. I believe the ducks thought the small beaks were grain or something, but the ducks would flip the chicks right over trying to "eat" the grain. We had to separate them immediately to prevent injury. I hope you read this in time to prevent anything unfortunate.

3. jtn42248

Thanks, I will be sure to have two brooders ready for them. Don't understand why Ideal would use chicks to "warm" ducklings if they are problematic to one another.

4. BugGuy

BugGuy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2014
    They may not be "problematic", as I think the ducklings are just investigating possible food, but WOW was it a circus as we had chicks being flipped right and left before we could round up the ducklings and make a different brooder for them.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I didn't have that dramatic an experience, but ducklings are too messy to brood with chicks. They can handle a much wetter environment, bedding, etc. Wet bedding is good medium for cocci, and that can be a killer for chicks. Plus, just the damp isn't good for them, cocci or not. I always brood them separate, and NEVER ducks in the house. If that's you plan, make sure your brooder is very deep, or they'll splash water out of the brooder onto your walls, whatever else is near the brooder.

6. jtn42248

Good advice. I have set up a brooder for the ducklings that is a Rubber Maid bin about 2 ft by 3 ft and 2 ft deep with a wire cover and its own heat lamp. For the chicks, I have been told to expect between 10 and 15, I have set up a large dog kennel with draft protection and it's own heat lamp. I already have 25 hens in a 7 ft by 7 ft brooder/grow out pen that are doing really well even with the unstable weather we have been having in Texas (11 degrees this a.m., 91 degrees yesterday). So I will have three brooders going. Everything is ready for them outside when they are a little older and the weather a little more stable. The ducks will be in their own coop/run. I just have to figure out what to do with the roosters.

7. jtn42248

Just an update. I managed to find a taker for all 12 rooster chicks after about a week. The ducks are almost two weeks old. They are funny, silly and a lot of entertainment. BUT I have learned my lesson. Make sure that if you are going to brood ducklings set up your brooder in a place that can be hosed down with a fire hose. They are about as messy as any creature on Gods earth. I know that they will be worth it and they have already endeared themselves to me and won a place in my heart. But them and having 25 pullets ready to go out to their coop all at the same time...you can only imagine. Am I right that the ducks will be ready to go out to their pen at about 4-6 weeks old?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by