Ducks and their pool

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Chriswardens52, Jul 5, 2011.

1. Chriswardens52

Chriswardens52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    DuckVille Montana
    Ok so my ducks are mallards. And i have a question. They spend all day. I MEAN ALLL DAY, in the pool. They even sleep in it i was just wondering if this was ok. Odd question i know.I am just wondering/

2. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Hmmm...they must come out to eat/preen? Mine like to bathe several times throughout the day but also take naps out of the pool.Also at night they are locked in a hut.I think some ducks just like the water more than others.If they look and act healthy I wouldn't worry! You'll have some squeaky clean ducks ...but one messy pool [​IMG]

3. 1MrsMagoo

1MrsMagoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2010
    St Tammany Parish LA
    My rouens do that sometimes, but it seems to be a phase thing. Yesterday, they barely used their pool: They were busy doing other things like foraging in the front yard. However, two days ago they spent the entire day swimming...so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

4. BallardDuck

BallardDuck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2011
    Ballard in Seattle
    Yesterday was the first big day out for my girls. I set up a temporary fence of hardware cloth, put the kiddie pool in there along with a big potted Camellia for shade. I brought them out and splash! Straight into the pool! They stayed there for about 6 hours watching me build their new pen, and only got out of the pool briefly. I was kind of wondering if that was all gonna be okay, but this morning everyones just fine...and I'm sure, ready for another day at the pool!

5. Dutchgirl

Dutchgirl Not Dutch!

Apr 1, 2008
    U.S.A.
    Sounds okay to me! Ducks love the water. They will often use it as a getaway from predators, too.

I think our duck thinks she's a chicken. We don't have a pond, but we do put out a tub of water for her. She occasionally bathes in it, but we usually have to physically put her in it to get her to bathe. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by