ducks and turkeys the same as chickens?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by ltlchicken, Dec 15, 2008.

1. ltlchicken

ltlchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2008
    ranger and broilers need to be processed by a certain date to taste good. are turkeys and ducks that way too? i'm planning on getting some pekins and narris and was wondering do i need to time the narris hatching date backwards from thanksgiving or can i let them grow and dispatch them at a later date (before they're a year old). also with pekins, i've heard the best time to dispatch them is at around 8-9 weeks. easier to get the feathers off. but will the meat be chewy if i let them go to 6 months and process them?

thanks.

2. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    I hatch in March, April and May and don't process some until November. They're absolutely fine to eat at that age. You get a nice big roasting duck who'll have started putting his fat on for the winter.

The processor surely hates me, though.

3. ltlchicken

ltlchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2008
    Quote:that's what i was thinking (about the fat content). if you process that early, you'll miss out on the fat.

thanks.

4. Poler

Poler Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2008
    Albuquerque, NM
    If your going to do it yourself, turkeys and ducks are somewhat harder to pluck, turkeys because of the sheer size, and ducks... well ducks are made to go on water, so they have more oil in their feathers than a chicken does, making it more difficult (least for me) to scald and pluck.

5. Bossroo

Bossroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    Quote:Try puting some liquid dishsoap in the hot water. That helps to disipate the oils in the duck's feathers.

6. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    Quote:That's why we went to skinning ducks. less than 10 minutes per duck start to finish

Steve in NC

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by