1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

ducks and turkeys

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by dixierose992, Jun 20, 2007.

1. dixierose992

dixierose992 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2007
    Williamsburg, VA
    When do ducks and turkeys start laying eggs? Is the stuff you give chickens to get them to lay egg bad for ducks or turkeys?

2. dixierose992

dixierose992 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2007
    Williamsburg, VA
    Does anyone have any ideas? I want to help the chicks lay eggs, but don't want to hurt the others? Help!

3. 4H kids and mom

4H kids and mom Cooped Up

Mar 10, 2007
    Southern Wisconsin
    Well I know you cant give the medicated chick starter to waterfowl because the dosage isnt right for them because they eat so much more than chicks do. They will be overdosed and die. [​IMG] If you feed a non medicated chick feed, then I suppose you could give that to them. However, if you are wanting eggs sooner, you should feed them a gamebird feed or meat bird type feed to help speed their growth. Your egg laying chicks can also eat the gamebird feed for the time being, or better would be to seperate the waterfowl from the chicks as they get messy with eating and the wet bedding increases the chances of bad things growing and breeding that might not affect your ducks and turkeys, but could prove fatal to your chicks. My ducks and geese have a seperate pen all to themselves. [​IMG] They all range the yard during the day together though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by