ducks and water in winter?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Keene's coop, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Keene's coop

Keene's coop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2010
    neenah, wisconsin
    i live in wisconsin so our winters get really cold here. what do i do about water for my duck that i have not gotten yet? should i just put a small bucket of water in the run and replace every day with unfrozen water or what? [​IMG]

2. animalpro24

animalpro24 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Oregon
    You can find heated water bowls at Petco i'm guessing or some feed store. We got ours at Coastal farm and ranch. Check the water every hour or two and if frozen break up and take ice out. I'm not talking about water bowl just whatever you have. Hope this helps.[​IMG]

3. heatherindeskies

heatherindeskies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2010
    SE Minnesota
    If you have access to nearby electricity, then get heated water bowls and have them deep enough so the bird can dip it's entire beak into so it can clean out the nares.
    If not, change water as often as possible during the day so it doesn't freeze and the bird has access to it....

4. evansacres

evansacres Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2011
    I live in Canada and wintered my four pekin ducks and didn't have too many issues. I would give them warm water first thing in the morning in a black rubber tub and most of the time part of it was still unfrozen at the end of the day. I still let them out in their run every day and they spent most of the time outside unless the weather was really bad. If the water was frozen when I got home from work I would top it off with some more warm water to be sure they had enough to drink before night time.

I always dumped out the tub at night and made sure that it was kept in the dairy barn (warm) so that in the morning it was thawed completely and fresh warm water could be put in.

As others will tell you, you should have more then one duck though - they'll be much happier [​IMG]

5. Keene's coop

Keene's coop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2010
    neenah, wisconsin
    i read that too but i keep reading in books and on the internet that pekin ducks prefer to be with humans over other ducks.

6. animalpro24

animalpro24 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Oregon
    Keene's coop :

i read that too but i keep reading in books and on the internet that pekin ducks prefer to be with humans over other ducks.

Yeah but in the end a duck is a duck and wants to be with another duck.​

7. jojo@rolling acres farm

[email protected] acres farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Nebraska
    Get two or more ducks. A duck is a duck is a duck is a duck! They will always crave company of their own kind.

8. aduckstolemyheart

aduckstolemyheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Missouri
    I agree with the rest. Heated bowls or buckets. I get the big buckets from our local feed store, and most big one's have them. A little raise in the electricity bill, but it's well worth it when it cuts down on the work for you, and is better for your ducks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by