Ducks and winter

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Svenia, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Svenia

Svenia New Egg

Sep 10, 2009
    I have been trying to figure out what to do about my ducks pool for the winter. How do I keep it from freezing? We get up to a foot of snow sometimes and lots of ice. I have a large wooden shed that I have turned half of it into a house for them. I have two white ducks. I use one of those child pools for them to swim in. Half the shed, about 8 foot by 4 foot section of it, is full of straw and a few nests for them and I have a heat lamp I can hang up in the roof of the shed to keep it warm for winter. I still have about an 8 foot by 6 foot secton of the shed thats not being used. Could the pool be put in the shed and would the heat lamp be enough heat to keep the water from freezing? Any ideas would be great. thanks

2. Quacking

Quacking Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2010
    They dont need to have a pool in the shed all the time - that would be way too messy - but you could just fill it once a week for them. Thats what I do for mine in winter. On weekends when I have more time- I fill it with warm water - it does take a while as I put buckets of hot water in as well as straight from the tap so they dont get too cold. I make sure the drinking water is always clean and fresh every day though top compensate for them not beiong able to swim. Its still very important for them to have access to water deep enough for them to duck their whole heads into day and night through winter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by