1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ducks and winter

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by YarrrgotheMeast, Dec 17, 2013.

1. Yes

5 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Need a lot

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. YarrrgotheMeast

YarrrgotheMeast Out Of The Brooder

Dec 17, 2013
    Where I live the temperature is about freezing or a little above or below during the day. But, at night it might get down to the teens. The ducks have an upstairs and downstairs and we assume they sleep upstairs since they are usually up the in the morning. We have a heated water bowl and hay. Do I need anything else? Thank you.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Sounds like you have it covered, other than good quality feed and you most likely have that covered too. These are the basics. Fresh water [not frozen]
    Bedding to snuggle into on those cold nights out of wind and weather
    Good quality feed.
    I'd say you've done it all. except you forgot to post pics of your ducks so we could all go awww, [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. YarrrgotheMeast

Dec 17, 2013
    I get feed from a local grass-fed farm. Thank you

4. YarrrgotheMeast

Dec 17, 2013
    I also have two ducks, pekins. I'll change my picture.

5. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    well vented, dry and well bedding housing, plenty of water and good feeds all keys to making it through... we've been cold here too... i have big ducks and even keep some bantam, those tricks will get them through, i have still not found tricks to get US through, however.[​IMG]

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    [​IMG]

7. Carcajou

Carcajou Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2012
    Delhi, New York
    My ducks don't seem to mind winter. In fact, they rarely want to go right into their coop at night perhaps because they are in it for 12+ hours this time of year. Below are a couple of photos taken during a snowstorm two days ago. They have never gone inside to get away from the weather.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. YarrrgotheMeast

Dec 17, 2013
    In my backyard there is a pond, and today my ducks hung out with two mallards. :D my male duck tried to mate with the female mallard.

9. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I love that second pic looks like someone sprinkled powered sugar over her. [​IMG]

10. 3FordFamily

3FordFamily Out Of The Brooder

Dec 13, 2013
    Fishers, IN
    I also have ducks that seem to love winter. They seem much happier during blizzards than in the heat of the summer. I also seem to lose fewer birds in the winter than in the summer!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by