Ducks are "forgetting" they are girls.....

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by froggie71, Jun 13, 2009.

1. froggie71

froggie71 Songster

Apr 18, 2009
    Shamong, NJ
    So we have 8 ducks and a drake. I've recently posted that our drake was attacked twice by our guinea. Anyway since we've had our drake recuperating inside (We let him out for visits with the girls) to keep him away from our male guinea, we have 2 girls that have begun to act like our drake. We have found 2 of our girls, usually the Indian runner, but once caught a Khaki, mounting the other girls. [​IMG] Is this something anyone else has encountered?

2. SunAngel

SunAngel Songster

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    I have a blue Swedish duck that will sometimes mount my two other ducks...even when the drake is right beside them. My daughter asks me why and I have no clue. I get 3 eggs a day, so I know they are all girls lol.

3. headred

headred Songster

Feb 28, 2009
    Lawrence
    My hens do the same thing. I just call them bi-sexual :)

4. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Songster

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    Its a dominance issue. My two female dogs do the same thing.

Laurie

5. xfilesnumber1fan

xfilesnumber1fan Songster

Nov 24, 2008
    Missouri
    My girls do it too...Even when I had 2 drakes and 2 females...Then got 2 more females they still did it...They are silly!!

6. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    It's a pecking order thing. The "queen" duck mounts the subordinates to remind them she is in charge.

Lana (buff) used to do it to Chrissy (runner) all the time. The funny thing is, she always submitted for Lana, but she WOULD NOT submit to the drake. So for Lana, it was a dominance issue, but for Chrissy, well, she prefers girls... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: