ducks are freakin cool.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by stargazingmommy, Jun 27, 2011.

1. stargazingmommy

stargazingmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Spokane
    My biggest question is why the little freaks will drink out of muddy puddle very enthusiastically and ignore the nice pool of fresh clean water, except to empty half of it in one try

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope that works

Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  2. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    They are filtering in the mud for food. Dirty water has more desirable "stuff" in it. [​IMG]

3. Totes Quackers

Totes Quackers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Melbourne
    *SNAP*.. I was just outside watching my quacker in a muddy puddle and staring at his beautiful clean pool thinking huh!?!.. Cheers Dianaross77 for answering my question!
    Clever little quackers!
    [​IMG]

4. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    You're so very welcome! Now, get the hose out and make some nasty mud puddles. They'll love you for it. Dirty birds!

edited cuz my gramer left sumfin to bee deseyered.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  5. bwmichaud

bwmichaud Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    When I dump their water bowls, they love drilling holes in the mud and dirtying up the new water as soon as they can. I wish I had the problem of their water staying too clean. [​IMG]

6. MudHog

MudHog Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2011
    Quote:I feel the same. I've caught my Pekins standing at their pool with their heads down the sides. Only for them to realize I'm there and find their heads covered in dirt.

7. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Mine are drilling holes in the ground beside our pool..as the others splash the water out, the rest out of the pool are digging lol

Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  8. stargazingmommy

stargazingmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Spokane
    Because I'm a duck addict it looks like I will be making big old mud puddles today.

9. Struttn1

Struttn1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Southern Illinois
    They know fresh mud puddles in the yard mean worms. It is hilarious when one of mine pulls a fat nightcrawler out of the ground. The chase is on as the rest of the flock chases the duck with the worm trying to take it away.

10. bwmichaud

bwmichaud Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    Quote:That is one of the funniest things to see. I love when I throw them something new and the duck who gets it first runs off with it until he realizes that he doesn't like whatever it is. He then drops it and another duck picks it up and then they all chase that duck for it, even the 1st duck that dropped it because he didn't like it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by