Ducks are good at hiding symptoms..

Pics

Maryam.

Songster
Dec 22, 2017
Hey,
As many of you already know Daisy is my almost 3 y.o rouen and a female.
She started laying since she was 6months old, she would lay a big egg everyday for 2years! Although she was so small and this made her weaker.. until a few months ago one day I found her sitting in a dark place alone, I knew it was egg problem I brought her inside the house so she can be comfortable and half an hour later I found her prolapsed and bleeding nonstop. It was midnight and I couldn’t do anything to stop the bleeding. I found an oncall vet, he had to do a surgery ASAP, and he did. He also remove a part of her intestines cause her situation was BAD! The doctor assured me that she probably won’t lay anymore. After the surgery she recovered quickly, and the layind stopped :fl
A week ago, I found her having difficulty in breathing, lethargic, sneezing .. I had a guess that it might be respiratory infection. I gave her Enrofloxacin for 6days and her breathing improved. On the 6th day’s morning I found her sleeping and not being able to stand on her legs and she lost her appetite completely. I took her to some vet but not their vet cause she had a few days off. This vet felt her abdomen and stated surely that she’s not egg bound but it might be tumor. The radiology was closed so We couldn’t take an Xray of her abdominal cavity. Today which was day 3 of her issue I took her for Xray and we found the BIGGEST egg possible in her abdomen and nowhere close to her vent😭 All the doctors were shocked. Since I was assured that she’s not gonna lay again I didn’t gave her enough calcium and I feel terribly bad now. They had access to a crashed calcium rock though but they don’t like it much, I should’ve forced them to eat it. I will attach her xray image to this thread.
I took her to their own vet and she said surgery is too risky all we can do now is give her high doses of antibiotics, calcium and melixocam to ease her pain and pray that she will lay the egg or at least move a little so they can help her to bring it out.
The egg is too big that is placing pressure on most of her organs, including her lungs that’s why she had respiratory problems.
Please please please pray for my Daisy😭
She’s in pain and I am the most terrified and can’t stop crying
I hope this thread help anybody who has the same problem.
I would be grateful if you mention other approaches that you think it will help so I can suggest them to her vet.
P.S. she had ingested something about 1cm too, which the doctors said it’s not that serious and she’ll probably pass it.

Attachments

• 90651D42-0812-429F-9E5E-0E184FDC1866.jpeg
    90651D42-0812-429F-9E5E-0E184FDC1866.jpeg
    169.9 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Also I would be grateful if you give food suggestions for her during this tough time.
She doesn’t eat everything and if she does it’s not enough..
I had a rough day and can’t think straight at the moment

Last edited:
She’s home? Okay maybe some canned salmon? Just a small amount to see if she’ll eat it? As for the egg if it gets moving down far enough they might be able to get it out. I sure hope so.
Yes she’s home. I will definitely try it
What’s the best diet at this point? I mean which nutrition is most necessary now..
The vet had this guess that the egg might be shell-less and if it ruptures in the abdominal cavity it can’t hurt so much, that’s why she hyped her on antibiotics that in case it happened, the egg material absorbs and prevent infection..

Back
Top Bottom