Ducks are not laying and have not for the whole summer, isn't this strange?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Learningstill, Aug 27, 2013.

1. Learningstill

Learningstill Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    Our ducks are not laying. We give them layer pellets, omega egg maker, black sunflower seeds, cracked corn, and they forage occasionally. They also get crackers that become stale (not daily). They sometimes eat the goats hay too. They get clean water daily. The drakes are not even attempting to mate. My daughter talked with a friend who has something like 60 chickens and their chickens are not laying either. Our chickens have laid a little this summer, but not regular like before. Our ducks always laid and now zip.
    Any ideas?

2. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    How old are they? It's also possible there's something environmental that's occurred if it's also happening to other flocks. Not knowing anything first hand about ducks, is it possible you're overfeeding them and they've gotten too fat to lay? I have heard of a gradual fat buildup resulting in infertility, non-laying, etc which is usually followed by death sooner or later. Best wishes.

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    That is strange. There are materials used for other purposes, such as pesticides, that mess with fertility.

iamcuriositycat even had a garden hose that leached compounds that prevented her flock from laying. It took quite a bit of research to figure that one out.

Is there any fracking going on around you? Mining? Other kinds of activities, like construction? Are you near an area where fields are sprayed?

I would contact agricultural extension and tell them about it.

What kind of cleaning materials do you use in and around the animal shelters? Not blaming the victim, just trying to think of how an endocrine disrupter could be getting into the environment there.

Do you get your feed from the same place as your daughter's friend? Could there be a contaminant in the feed? Corn was hit hard last year with aflatoxin...and some states petitioned the agency in charge to allow higher levels of it in corn used for feed.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  4. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I agree that is odd and your feeding sounds perfectly fine, most ducks are quite capable of regulating feed especially if they are allowed plenty of room to roam. Amiga has good suggestions, i do know weather can turn laying into a rather irregular experience but not where they haven't at all.

Since they do forage, how big an area are we talking of? could their be nests your unaware of, i often find them here... only the other week did i find a nest of 12 eggs.

2 people like this.
  5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Good point, GQ

6. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Thank you, starting to think i should rename the place to hidden nest farms [​IMG]

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I like that name actually [​IMG]

8. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    [​IMG]

9. Learningstill

Jun 10, 2013

We have a few ages 1, 2, >1. They are not overweight, but that is good to know. Thanks

10. Learningstill

Jun 10, 2013

I am not sure what fracking is. No mining. No construction. We are sorta around a field that may be sprayed. The field is behind our backyard, then we have a privacy fence separating and the ducks pen is in the front yard. We have always used he same hose, so I don't think that is it.

I am unsure if we buy our feed from the same place. We live on separate sides of town. Not sure if their could be contaminates in the feed. We buy sealed bags from TSC.

They have not been in a coop for the whole summer. Their pen is like 40x25 feet. They have play time out of their pen depending on our schedule, but at least a couple of times a week. But when I used their coop, I used vinegar and diluted bleach.

They are molting, could this be the reason?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by