Ducks are on the pond..

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by sara, Sep 7, 2007.

1. sara

sara Title Needed Here

Finally the ducks are out on the pond DH made for me! It's so exciting! They were so happy to have room to swim around and go under water!! What fun to watch!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. jenichick

jenichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2007
    NC
    I happy for you but jealous (just kidding)[​IMG] . We had a 1/2 acre pond dug on our property 4 months ago, then all the rain stopped. I am the reason the entire southeast is in a sever drought.......I had a pond dug so I could get some duckies.......and there it sits a big red clay hole in the ground......just waiting for rain

3. sara

sara Title Needed Here

Wow! That will be nice when it fills up! My DH pushed out a tree and water filled up with water at the roots, I said "Can you please dig it bigger for a pond, please" Well he went crazy and made it real nice for me. It filled up in a day, it's spring fed! Sometimes he amazes me!

4. sara

sara Title Needed Here

Now I just need to find my girls a boyfriend! I bought straight run, but don't have a single drake feather showing up! They are 4 months old, so I thought I would be able to tell. They all seem to quack loudly to me. [​IMG]

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Springs are amaizing. So you just found it by accident? Would you be able to tell otherwise? It baffles me. I like your pond so much! I wish I could have one but the seasonal stream that runs by the back of the property is that, at the back, and about 100 feet lower than where the house is.

6. jenichick

jenichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2007
    NC
    Quote:Wow, that is awesome. My DH amazes me too, he can do so many things really well. He didn't dig our pond though, we live on a mountain top so it's steep, we paid some friends of his to clear 4 acres of pasture and dig our pond. They're calling for rain next week so maybe we'll get some water in it. I wish we had hit water.....

7. sara

sara Title Needed Here

My DH runs a rubber tire loader at work. They weren't using the one trac loader so we had it here for a while to clear some trees in our pasture. So he was able to dig it!

Well it was wet out there, but I didn't know that the spring was right were it was. The guy we bought the place from said there are several on the property! I always wanted a pond! [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. mlheran

mlheran Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Just popping in to say that my oldest ducks are about five months old and only one of the two drakes has <em>a</em> drake feather. I'm not sure if the other male is just slow, or if he'll never get one (I've heard that can happen). [​IMG] Of course, I know they're males without the feathers because of their quiet quacking and because they're always hoping to climb on one of the hens! [​IMG]

And that's a fabulous pond -what lucky ducks! What kind are they, by the way?

9. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    love that pond!!

10. sara

sara Title Needed Here

Pekins and cayugas, and two little mystery ducks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by