DUCKS ARE STARTING TO PIP ABOUT 2 DAYS EARLY. SHOULD I LOCK DOWN? HELP PLEASE!

Pics

Ongiegirl36

Songster
Apr 11, 2022
A lot of my ducks are beginning to peck and roll around. No external hole or internal hole yet that I can see but the eggs are rolling and the ducks are pecking. Should I put my incubator in to lock down today instead of tomorrow at 4pm? They started pecking last night. I can also see most of their little peckers in the air cell and they are breathing. It isn't shadowing. One you can see its whole head in the air cell. That little quacker is going to hatch first I think. There is pipping going on but they haven't actually broken the in or outside of the shell.

Also, some I put on their sides and some I left in the carton. Any advice? I did this due to the air cells. Should I put them all on their side or just use my best judgement?

DO YOU OPEN YOUR AIR VENT AT LOCKDOWN OR WHEN YOU SEE AN EXTERNAL PIP?

Last edited:
Don't help, sounds like they are doing fine. Moving eggs, and even an outside pip is not time to help. And remember when they do pip the outside hole it may be 12-24 hrs before a full hatch and it is important because they are still absorbing the contents of their eggs. And it is important to leave all eggs in incubator untouched especially duck eggs to keep the moisture in incubator.

You might as well, there is no harm to pulling from the turner now or even early and raising humidity. It is better than being late.
Thank you! I have been hand turning for a week now. My eggs have terrible air cells but that doesn't seem to be stopping anyone from growing and trying to hatch.
Don't help, sounds like they are doing fine. Moving eggs, and even an outside pip is not time to help. And remember when they do pip the outside hole it may be 12-24 hrs before a full hatch and it is important because they are still absorbing the contents of their eggs. And it is important to leave all eggs in incubator untouched especially duck eggs to keep the moisture in incubator.
Should I lay the rest down or just leave them as is? I know it is hard to say for sure. With your experience what would you suggest?

I don't want to help them hatch. I am scared I will kill them. If I truly can tell it is in distress, I will use what I read and try and help. I am patient. I am excited too lol.

A lot of my ducks are beginning to peck and roll around. No external hole or internal hole yet that I can see but the eggs are rolling and the ducks are pecking. Should I put my incubator in to lock down today instead of tomorrow at 4pm? They started pecking last night. I can also see most of their little peckers in the air cell and they are breathing. It isn't shadowing. One you can see its whole head in the air cell. That little quacker is going to hatch first I think. There is pipping going on but they haven't actually broken the in or outside of the shell.

Also, some I put on their sides and some I left in the carton. Any advice? I did this due to the air cells. Should I put them all on their side or just use my best judgement?
go ahead and lockdown, it wont hurt anything. When you say pecking, what do you mean? Tapping sounds or shadowing?
If tapping sounds, they've internally pipped.

Personally I would lie them down unless the air cells are actually loose/displaced, which they aren't are they?
So it's your choice. Lying down may make it a little easier for the ducklings to actually get out- but because of the odd air cell situation, I'd wait for someone else's opinion. @WVduckchick

Remember, ducklings take a long time, and even once hatch starts it could be two days or potentially more until they're out. So be patient!
Good luck with your hatch !!

Yes lock down now! Being early is usually a sign of slightly higher temps, but not too high as to hurt them, so they should be fine.

If you see bills in the air cell, then they have internally pipped and need to stop turning and need humidity increased.

Lay them all on their side, placing the lowest side of the dip in the air cell upward. Like this:
293E7179-9186-4084-96BA-F7C5302D6EFC.jpeg

Good luck! Keep us posted please.

Back
Top Bottom