Ducks Are Supposed To Have Friends?!

Kovalciks Chickens

Songster
10 Years
Aug 25, 2009
Richmond, Michigan
well apparently everyone is telling me that one duck is not enough and my my lil girl is lonely. She is a Khaki Campbell and i dont know what type of friends I wanna get her. I am a big chicken person but this is my first duck. I have seen some call ducks and I kinda like them....would she like them? She is a nice duck but she is just lonely she quacks all the time. I like the birds that look different and no one else really has for a decent price. Can someone post some pics of their ducks or ducks that they may think are pretty cool lookn.

Here is Ferdenand by the way
39923_1104101545a.jpg

Ducks are social animals, and fortunately all ducks speak the same language. Get whatever ducks you please to put with her. Khakis are a chatty duck, so when she has someone to be around she will probably gossip with them all day instead of talk to herself.

As a general rule, a group isn't a group unless there are at least three ducks in it. 3-5 is a pretty decent little flock, but even one more duck will make her happy.

I would get a duck similar in size. Just make sure that you don't get to many drakes, if you plan on getting some. One drake for 3-9 ducks is more then enough or you end up with drake fights and over-mating of the girls. I would say get her a nice sister.

Runners are funny looking, and magpies are both rare and gorgeous. Here's a mixed flock of the two:

37992_135.jpg

Tall guy in back right is a blue runner from Holderread. Not all runners have that nice upright stance. In the pool with a white chest on the right is a tuxedo blue runner from stock originally obtained from McMurray--less funny-looking, still a runner.

Black & white girls are magpies with their blue & white magpie drake. Standard duck shape, but stunning colors.

Both breeds are good egg layers. Runners are easier to find. Either can be ordered as ducklings from Holderread if you want really nice quality.

Agreed that your girl needs friends, and also that the breed matters very little as long as they are a domestic breed.
smile.png

at the top are my pet quality regular khaki campbells, then a mallard drake in eclipse plumage on bottom left, and a female rouen on the bottom right
48551_100_2801.jpg

Last edited:
Ducks are flock animals. They ARE lonely alone. It might be hard to get some right now... but get her some girlfriends in the spring.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom