Ducks are sure cautious about what they eat

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by newbyduckmom, Oct 14, 2011.

1. newbyduckmom

newbyduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    Just took out a diced up apple and boiled duck egg that was cracked from this morning. Ducks came running to see what was in the bowl, and promptly turned around and walked away with noses in the air! Tough to give them 'leftover" when they have to have access to it for a week before they will eat it!

2. Poultrybonkers

Poultrybonkers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2011
    seems you have picky ducks my ducks haul down anything I give them! [​IMG]

3. chikky

chikky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2009
    Glenmont, Ohio
    It's very disappointing, isn't it - when they stick their little duckie beaks up in the air and walk off. I bought some Mazuri duck food (best I can get) and they won't hardly touch it. I mix it in with their Purina duck grower and they'll eat it ONLY if they must...

Won't eat peas, or any of the goodies mentioned on this forum that ducks are supposed to love. They will eat leaf lettuce, dandelion leaves, and of course worms and grubs.

Picky little boogers!

4. newbyduckmom

newbyduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    Yep, they left it sitting there all afternoon, and ran out to get bugs, slugs, grubs when I went out to clean their houses. They will eat the duck food I gave them I am sure. Although, silly me, I have to admit, I found it kind of creepy to give them duck egg to eat! [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 14, 2011
  5. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Given the chance mine will gobble up an egg laid with no shell in seconds. Yesterday I heard a commotion in the yard and went out to investigate- 1 duck running away from the flock..then I noticed something in her mouth - it was funny to watch. They have never broken open a good egg to eat though- so glad they arent like chickens with a more pointed beak. Ducks sitting on a nest will also sometimes eat the contents of an egg- so it really is a good way of giving them back some good nutrients. Maybe next time try giving them some fresh raw egg instead and see if they would eat it that way.

6. Hunter0704

Hunter0704 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2011
    Wentzville, MO
    From suggestions on BYC, I diced some tomatoes and lettuce...sprinkled in their coop...chicks were the first to check it out and started eating like crazy. Then the ducklings started in and everyone enjoyed their treats! It was all devoured within minutes. The somewhat thawed frozen peas worked too. I think if it weren't for the curiousity of the chicks, maybe the ducks may not have tried anything. Who knows?

7. MarieNC

MarieNC Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Mine are quite picky too. They don't care for apples but may eat a few. They flat out won't eat peas, frozen or thawed. Sometimes they will eat squash, sometimes they won't. I have given them koi food and again, sometimes they will eat it, sometimes not. Their favorite food by far is lettuce. They love watermelon, too. Occasionally they will eat a cucumber. I guess it's a good thing they like their duck food.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by