Ducks aren't eating new food............................

Graceful Acres

Songster
9 Years
Apr 29, 2010
Georgia
Recently bought some Mazuri waterfowl food for my Pekins. They don't appear to eat very much, if any. Will they eventually eat it? Should I just only put it and not the previous food? I had been mixing it ...........that way I wouldn't upset any tummies but they still eat the "chick starter" and leave all the little pebbles of Mazuri in the feeder. I really would like for them to eat this :(
ANY ADVICE?

Last edited:
Never mind. Went out to clean this morning and they had ate everything. Their feeder was empty and when I refilled it............they immediately began eating. I believe they like it after all
smile.png
That's really good to know since that bag was $40

gig.gif
I swear ducks read these forums and lurk until someone posts a query and then they do the reverse!
lau.gif

Glad they decided to enjoy their new food ... amazing what a grumbling empty tummy can achieve
wink.png
(And that is how I've treated my human family members fussiness - "you'll love it when your starving!"
tongue.png
)

How large was the bag for that price?

I believe it was 50 lbs. Now that I think about it............rather stupid to buy such a large bag before you know if they are going to eat it.
Wow.............it's embarrassing to be a newbie
idunno.gif
I bet all the seasoned folks get a huge laugh out of us first timers
lau.gif

Uhm, I may be spilling the beans here, but we all take turns with "learning experiences." Just so you'll know.
wink.png

By the way . . . I bought a bag of Mazuri Waterfowl feed, highly recommended, and they ate it.... for a while. I now have a few pounds left, and they have been picking around it. I think I will put it in a separate bowl and see if they will go for it. We go from garden to garden most days, so perhaps if that is what is available where they are, they will eat it.

I bought some other organic feed, and while it was quite good quality, it was a mix, not pellets, which posed a problem for them. They would eat it pretty well if it was moistened, but that made the decision about how much to prepare at a time more critical, since after some time moistened feed needs to be removed for concern of moldiness.

They like lettuce, not so much cabbage, no matter how finely I chop it. They have turned up their noses at violet leaves when I pick them, but they will chomp on violets along the path (fine with me).

So far, they have refused to eat anything red. That includes red lily leaf beetles, watermelon, strawberries and raspberries.

sigh.

Last edited:
Wow.............it's embarrassing to be a newbie
idunno.gif
I bet all the seasoned folks get a huge laugh out of us first timers
lau.gif

Yup, that's how I feel too when I post a problem *insert blush smilie* But I console myself with this one simple truth: even the old timers were newbies, once
wink.png
Everyone has to begin somewhere, right?

No laughing from me. I simply would have advised you to give them a little time.

Ducks are very suspicious of changes, but they adapt quickly. That's supposed to be excellent duck food, so you should do well with it.

I forget - are these ducklings or adults? Mine love their Mazuri in water. The little duckling Mazuri pellets float. They get a bath and a meal all at once!

The maintenance comes in floating and sinking pellets. I've always bought the floating and the adults get fed in their water bucket.

Recently bought some Mazuri waterfowl food for my Pekins. They don't appear to eat very much, if any. Will they eventually eat it? Should I just only put it and not the previous food? I had been mixing it ...........that way I wouldn't upset any tummies but they still eat the "chick starter" and leave all the little pebbles of Mazuri in the feeder. I really would like for them to eat this :(
ANY ADVICE?

They are almost 6 weeks old. So............I guess they are still ducklings ( but huge.) They ended up liking it after all. I did put some in their water yesterday morning and they ate that but left all the rest in the feeder. But when I went out this morning, it was gone. I guess they got hungry. I put new out this morning and they began to gobble that up.

Back
Top Bottom