Ducks arriving in June...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by MargaretAnneHK, Mar 12, 2017.

1. MargaretAnneHK

MargaretAnneHK Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2012
    Kellogg,Minnesota
    Well, I have had ducks before but always ones I hatched out in the incubator. I took the plunge (so to speak lol) and ordered some ducklings from Murray McMurray for June. I went with four blue runners (one drake three hens), four fawn and white runners (one drake, three hens) and three crested whites (one drake, two hens.)
    Yes, I have either owned these breeds in the past or done my research.
    I am excited!!! :) I will be spending these next three months getting everything ready for them.
    I was also interested in buying call ducklings or buying call duck eggs but they didn't have those. :( I did post on here as well, but if anyone knows where I can buy even a few eggs to have shipped, it would be greatly appreciated, as I want to give it a try, I have read and read and read some more about the pitfalls of incubating call ducks so I am hoping if I take it step by step, it will equal success. If not, I will try again.
    Also, I do not plan on keeping the standards and calls together, I would rather be safe than sorry.
    I am basically wanting my ducks for pets and eggs. My daughter and 4 year old grandson are on board, especially my grandson. :) My daughter has been telling him how when she was growing up and I had an incubator going how excited she would be and would shine the flashlight into the incubator every time she went by. :)
    I have already told them they can help name the ducks. :)

2. QuackSpeak

QuackSpeak Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2017
    Whoah June's a long wait! I have ducklings coming in April, and I can hardly contain myself lol!
    We got our first ducks two years ago (Sadly, they are no more; pred attack), and we ordered through the mail too. We were worried too, but our ducks came at the Post Office safe and sound! They were energetic and peeping and the Post Office workers loved them!
    I've never ordered from McMurray, only Metzer's, but I'm happy with the service, and I think you will be too. Hoping for the best [​IMG] !
    I don't know where you can get Call eggs, sorry... @RavynFallen has Calls, maybe she can tell you where she got hers?
    Your daughter and grandson sound adorable! Good luck!

3. MargaretAnneHK

Mar 14, 2012
    Kellogg,Minnesota
    LMAO, June will be here before I know it!! I also ordered a bantam chicken assortment and going to be incubating between now and then(chickens) so I will keep busy and not be pining after having the ducks just yet. :)
    I think my aunt ordered her ducklings from Metzers, not for sure. She got 15 because one of my younger cousins is planning on showing them for 4H and the fair.
    I ordered from Murry McMurray because I have always liked them. I remember as a teenager enjoying those catalogues Of course, dang it, my parents always ordered meat chickens. :( And not from them.
    Yes, my grandson IS adorable but then I have to say I exercise extreme prejudice in that area. :) I also have a granddaughter with another daughter, she might like to LOOK at the ducks. :) Either way, both grandchildren are my pride and joy and I am just excited about sharing this with them as I am for myself. :)
    Yeah, I will consider myself extremely fortunate if I can even find a few call eggs. If it happens, it happens. :)

4. QuackSpeak

Jan 1, 2017
    Lol I'm literally counting the days ( 42 left [​IMG] ). I have no other pets, which may be part of the problem.. My brother's allergic to dogs, my dad's allergic to cats... Grrr.
    Ha I pore over Metzer's catalogs.. Unfortunately, there's only one per year, but you take what you can get.

5. MargaretAnneHK

Mar 14, 2012
    Kellogg,Minnesota
    So what kind of ducklings did you order? Here is hoping it goes quickly for you!! :)
    I have a number of dogs and a Peruvian guinea pig.
    My dogs are pretty much "bird proofed". When I incubated my test hatch of chickens recently, my female Neapolitan Mastiff wouldn't touch the incubator and then when they were hatched, she watched them, snuffled them and decided they were "hers" to guard.
    She actually cried when I boxed them up to give to my aunt (that was the deal as my cousin gave me the eggs to try out the new incubator.)
    My male Cane Corso and our Pugs are the same way. Really good with other animals, especially babies.
    I have no idea what they are going to think of the duckies. :) My Neo will probably follow them around trying to get them to stay in one place like she did with the baby chicks. :)
    Now I am going to have to go look at the Metzer's site!!! Poultry addiction IS actually a thing I am finding out,lol.

6. QuackSpeak

Jan 1, 2017
    One Cayuga, one Welsh Harlequin and one Blue Swedish [​IMG] ! I hope it goes quickly too, lol!
    Aww, your dogs sound so cute! I'm glad that they are bird proofed, so now you don't have to worry as much about them hurting your birds. Now I have the cute image of a huge dog sniffing at the heels of a clutch of chicks.. Adorable!
    And yes, poultry addiction is a real danger to all those involved. I Warn You! Ha lol. I am purposely not oredering a boy duckie because we can't have extra ducks... We have space, but we don't have the time for a whole flock of ducks. Plus, the duck pen isn't small, but not huge either. It could probably house six or seven ducks, but our coop can only house two or three (We did this purposely...Taking precautionary measures against this addiction helps a bunch), [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by