Ducks as pets

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by NicoleRook, Mar 16, 2013.

1. NicoleRook

NicoleRook Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2013
    Lake Community, NJ
    I'm wondering if anyone here has kept a duck as pet indoor/outdoor. My son is in the middle of a science experiment which includes chicken and duck eggs. We are not allowed in our township to have livestock, and already he is asking to keep one hatchling as a pet. We live in a lake community and often have ducks/geese in our yard so if someone happened to see the duck it wouldn't be too out of place. It's great seeing a teenager interested in something besides computers and xbox games.

My questions are:
    Can you keep a duck indoors?
    Can a duck make a good pet for a thirteen and two year old?
    Do ducks get along with other pets?

How do you house your duck? Does it sleep indoors or out?
    Anyone use ducky diapers?

Nothing has hatched yet, and am doing my homework on this one before any decision is made. Please be gentle if my questions seem obvious, stupid or niave....remember I'm a newbie.

2. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    [​IMG]

As a mom to a few teens myself i can appreciate the desire to have them focus on other things, that said, ducks ARE livestock and most townships consider them as such, so i'd keep that in mind even with a house version.

A few here have house ducks, i would recommend searching for the threads. Personally? i am no fan of the concept, to me that is not what a ducks life is, but as i said i will defer to those who practice it.

Hope that helps a bit!

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Ducks can thrive as house pets and - a big AND - that happens when the people who care for them, care for them all the time.

I realized, about a year after getting my ducks (who are not indoor ducks exactly, but their night pen and storm shelter is in the walkout basement, and we are very close buddies), the difference between what I thought I was in for before I got the ducks, and what I really experienced, was like night and day.

I got the ducks to deal with slugs in the garden. So, to me, it was as if I somehow was going to "apply" ducks to the garden like you would a can of slug-be-gone. Instead, I brought home a peeping box of fluff and cuteness that took over my mind and heart.

This can overwhelm some people. I went with it, since I had the luxury of doing so.

Now, back to younger duck caregivers.

First, I would say, minimum two and preferably three ducks. They are flock animals, very social, they become deeply attached to someone, or else they languish and can even become ill.

I have spent countless hours with my ducks, and watching them. Duck social structure is sophisticated and complex. It is wonderful. And it means that if your child wants to keep one, that one must be with the child 24/7 for the duck to be content, not miserable.

Ducks can live ten years or more, if you keep them safe.

With two or three ducks, they can keep each other company when humans are not nearby.

A small number of ducks can be managed pretty well indoors. They need sunshine and fresh air, though, and that means daily walkies. They are small, virtually defenseless and usually flightless animals. Human caretakers must watch out for them constantly on walks outdoors.

I'll send this on now, with a note that your questions are good, and if anyone implies otherwise they'll get the hairy eyeball from me.

4. NicoleRook

Mar 9, 2013
    Lake Community, NJ
    Thanks so much, I do appreciate the input.

5. NicoleRook

Mar 9, 2013
    Lake Community, NJ
    Any pet becomes part of our family as a whole, so even if he is at school, I am here and so is my daughter. He could walk around the enclosed playyard with her or be with me in my greenhouse enclosure. I have a large porch he/she could sit on during the day with supervision. My swing in out there, and my daughter and I spend many a nice afternoon relaxing/playing out there. My son and husband are home in evenings, so I have no doubt that the daytime responsibility will fall on me.

My understanding is they become bonded very quickly. I believe in forever pets, that's why I'm carefully considering this. I appreciate any and all positive advice. Thanks so much. :)

6. theduckgirl4110

theduckgirl4110 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2013
    I have two pet ducks.They are great pets for indoors and outdoors.My ducks are both indoors and outdoors. They're sweet and love kisses and snuggling.They are great with little children to. My niece is two and the ducks love her a lot. They will be a great pet. But if their going to be your pet be sure to get two or else they'll die.Good luck!!

7. DenverDucky

DenverDucky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    Colorado
    I think it's great that you are interested in learning about pet ducks! The more info you get before hand will help in making your decision on whether or not you or your son are willing to take on the responsibility of keeping an indoor duck :) I have an house duck named Soleil so I know first hand what's it like hah. I share a lot of what I've learned in the year that I've had her but I'm going to message you on here to share some more with you!
    [​IMG]

8. DenverDucky

Mar 28, 2012
    Colorado
    I'm not sure where you got the idea that a single pet duck would die...
    I have one duck and she's healthy and happy. Of course I'm with her all the time and she's as spoiled as they come but she's thriving just fine :)

9. DenverDucky

Mar 28, 2012
    Colorado
    -

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  10. Diamond88

Diamond88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2012
    Chicago
    I have an indoor duck as a pet, and she's a lot of fun and very cute. But keep in mind that ducks are very messy! And, as others have said, keeping a single duck isn't advisable unless someone is going to be at home, in the room, with the duck pretty much all day. They're very social and get lonely easily. My boyfriend works from home and we have a tiny house so the duck watches him work and do things around the house during the day, but even so, I'm looking for another duck because I worry about her getting bored. So, I'd suggest getting at least two ducks. Even if your son can't get two ducklings from his experiment, now is the right time of year for farm supply stores to have them. At your son's age, he could probably do most of the basic duck maintenance, but it's a lot of work keeping the cage clean so he might need help sometimes. Ducks poop constantly!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by