Ducks at McDonalds??? Need help quick please!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by WillsMama93, Jun 18, 2008.

1. WillsMama93

WillsMama93 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Shreveport, La
    Ok, so this morning I stop at the McDonalds on my way in to work... for those of you who have the chance, the new southern style chicken biskit is TO DIE FOR!! Anyway... back to my story. So I am pulling into the parking lot, and there, on the grass by the road, are 3 mallards!! Just chilling out in front of the McDonalds! There is not a body of water anywhere near where these ducks are.. so I'm not sure what their story is (I was running a little late, and didn't have time to stop and ask them why they were there, silly ducks!)
    It's a busy street, one of the main roads out of Shreveport, and I am worried that they will get hurt, being so close to the street and all.
    Should I call the pound? Not sure what to do to keep these little guys safe.

Help!!! [​IMG]

2. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    Are they wild ducks like Mallards?

3. WillsMama93

Mar 23, 2008
    Shreveport, La
    Yes, 3 wild ducks.. I have called the animal rescue shelter here in town, but they don't open until 12, and I'm worried someone might try to "catch" them and run them into the busy road.

4. Judymae

Judymae Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2007
    Merit, Tx
    I'm not sure a rescue group will touch a wild mallard. If there is no water nearby they may have been someone's pet that was dumped. I'm not sure why someone would dump a mallard though. Mine are soooo easy to care for and don't cause any probs. IF they all have the green heads then they are males and could have been dumped because someone doesn't want to mess with the males. They can be aggressive to your chickens. I rehomed all of mine for pecking the necks clean on my hens.

5. DuckLady

DuckLady ~~~Administrator~~~BYC Store Support Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Unless theya re injured they are fine. They are going somewhere and just using the McD's for a rest stop.

I get tons of calls about this sort of thing through the Duck Rescue Network.

Thanks for caring and I bet they are off on another adventure within a day or so. [​IMG]

6. WillsMama93

Mar 23, 2008
    Shreveport, La
    Quote:Thanks! They didn't look injured, seemed to be walking around and eating bugs out of the grass just fine. Hopefully they will stay out of harms way until they are ready to move on.

I called the manager of the McDonalds a little while ago, and he did say that they had taken a pile of lettuce and hamburger buns out there, and a pan of water for them to drink, just to keep them comfortable.

7. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    They are wild birds, they are smart, if they need to get out of that little drainage pond the can.

8. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    Quote:Awwwww!

9. WillsMama93

Mar 23, 2008
    Shreveport, La
    Quote:There was no drainage pond, just a patch of grass and 4 lanes of busy highway. Like I said, my worst fear was that someone would try to "pet the duckies" or catch them without knowing what they were doing, and they would run into the highway and be hit by oncoming cars.

But, I went by on my lunch hour, and they are gone. No sign of duckies anywhere.

[​IMG]

10. Bisqit&Gravy

Bisqit&Gravy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    I'm sure they'll leave after they rest. There were some geese in front of the hubby's tattoo shop awhile back. We slowly herded them away from the road and after the rested, they took off.

Don't know what your animal control is like but the one here will kill them. I've been a vet tech for 14 yrs and know AC very well here. Lost count of wild ducks they brought in to be put down. It never happen at any clinic I worked at b/c I'd take them and release them.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by