ducks at my back door

saundra jones

Hatching
Jan 28, 2016
I have 5 ducks free ranging in my back yard and lake. I really like let them roam but I dont like them settting at my back door and porch leaving a horrible mess. does any one know how i can let them free range but keep them away from my back porch?

Welcome to Backyard Chickens!
welcome-byc.gif

It sounds like you would need to block their access to areas you don't want them in. You may have to fence off the porch
big_smile.png

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! I too would agree that blocking your porch area off would be your best option. Here is the link for the duck section ~https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/42/ducks
You might like to pop by for all the duck chat. I'm sure the duck keepers there would be able to offer more advice too.

Wishing you the very best of luck and enjoy BYC :frow

Hi, welcome and ditto on the advice already received. I have a similar problem when i have chicks getting onto the veranda and i know that i need to put some chicken wire up, but i don't seem to get round to it. I hope you are more motivated to address the problem than me!

All the best
CT

welcome-byc.gif

Do the ducks get treats when they come to the door? Is that the door you go out of carrying treats? If so, they may be seeing the door as the place to beg and if they have been getting food at the door, they're going to equate the back door with good stuff. Blocking off their access and not giving them anything around that area sound like your only option.

Good luck!

We had wild ducks visit at the back door looking for handouts. Guess others in the area had been feeding them. Of course we did too. The best way to stop it, is to stop feeding them or put feed away from your house when they are looking.

Back
Top Bottom