Ducks at Night

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by BarredRocks3, Jan 30, 2014.

1. BarredRocks3

BarredRocks3 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Will ducks return to their coop at night if coop-broken like chickens or will I have heard them in?

2. dtaratut

dtaratut Out Of The Brooder

Heard mostly....rarerly do they go in alone

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Mine would bring themselves in sometimes, but now that the night shelter is not attached to the Day Pen, I herd them.

4. papaduck

papaduck Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2014
    my ducks come up from the pond almost every night. Once in a while, mostly if not always in summer, I have to persuade them to leave the pond.

5. CrazyDuckFarms

CrazyDuckFarms Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2014
    Ravenna,OH
    My birds mostly go into thier pens at night. Now during the day if i have to put them in the pen and have to run them in :/ lol need a he adding dog lol runner ducks were the worst. Hahaha

6. StruckBy

StruckBy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2012
    Marcola, OR
    If you're going to try to force them into a true coop, you'll have to herd them. If you have a run, they will put themselves into that at night. Ducks don't roost & don't like being enclosed. If you are worried about predators, they will be much happier in a secured run with a two-sided windbreak than locked up in a coop.

7. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    I feel lucky. My ducks taught themselves to sleep in the coop. The goose too. They go in every night no problem.

8. newfoundland

newfoundland Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    I herd mine in by clapping my hands and telling them to go inside. I always lock them away at dusk so they are safe from predators.

9. toowoombapekins

toowoombapekins Out Of The Brooder

Dec 26, 2013
    Toowoomba, Australia
    weekdays/nights my 2 pekins spend most of the day & night in the coop, due mainly to my working circumstances. But plans are in place for a much bigger enclosure for when I'm not home, and a fenced off area for when I am home, to let them roam.

Usually when I let them out to play in the yard, I have to coax them back to their coop with treats (usually peas!)
    But lately they have started coming back to the coop themselves. I just leave the door open, and after they have had their swim in their pool and dug around in the mud they will start heading back to the coop themselves, and let themselves in :) They definitely seem to now consider it as their home.

Hopefully it doesn't throw them out too much when I build them the new bigger and better enclosure! Might take them a while to get that 'home sweet home' feel again ;)

Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
  10. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Varies and i find dependent on the weather too. I get both here, sometimes there all in(yes, the barn and coop) and other times i herd them in.. either way ALL ducks here are taught to herd even down to the calls but mostly we carry them in lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by