Ducks at Sunset

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by tarajane, Feb 17, 2015.

1. tarajane

tarajane Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2015
    I don't know much about ducks but what I need to know right off the bat is, do they put themselves up at dusk like chickens or do I have to go gather them up each night ?[​IMG]

2. tdd2

tdd2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2014
    SEPA, USA
    Mine don't, but they are also kept in a predator proof pen whenever we aren't out with them, so I don't mind too much....that said, when it is time to put them in for the night, they won't typically go into their attached barn until we 'nudge' them a bit ;)

3. StephMagee

StephMagee Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2014
    Bradford,Pa
    My ducks go right in as soon as it starts getting dark. I think it's something they learned. Ever since we've put them outside we go down right as its getting dark to put them in. They used to not want to go in. But now they are always in the shed and quacking if we're running late. So it's become a routine with them.

4. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    My boys never went into their house at dusk unless I called them and put them up. My girls don't eithwr but are getting better. Come summer going into their house is not appealing at all to them.

5. StephMagee

StephMagee Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2014
    Bradford,Pa
    Mine have figured out that they get worms when they come in. So when they go in and wait for us and then hear us come in they expect the worms. The other night I had to work a little late and got home around 5:30pm and they're used to going in and getting worms at 5ish. I went down with out the worms to get them some fresh water and hay and then got them the worms. But they kept looking at me and looking for the bowl we put the worms in. We started giving them the worms when they wouldn't go in. And now they seemed to have figured out that they get worms. So they go right in.

6. tarajane

tarajane Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2015
    WOW, this is why I love you guys ![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by