Ducks Attacked by Trutles

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by norsefilly, May 10, 2016.

1. norsefilly

norsefilly New Egg

May 10, 2016
    Has anyone had problems with turtles attacking their ducks? I saved one of my female Pekins from a snapper and a few weeks later one of my drakes was dead in the pond missing his head and his intestines were coming out of a hole in his lower stomach [​IMG] I really need help figuring out what to do before my Muscovy ducklings and goslings are old enough to go out.

2. buff goose guy

buff goose guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    Have you seen turtle traps before, i think you can google it you just use a milk just and some line.

3. norsefilly

norsefilly New Egg

May 10, 2016
    I made a wire turtle trap and I couldn't catch any with it.

4. buff goose guy

buff goose guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    Hmm then I would just call an exterminator at this point.

5. cayugaducklady

cayugaducklady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2015
    New England USA
    i'm sorry for you loss.

My local wildlife vet had some specific suggestions for making natural and dug ponds snapping turtle unfriendly.

I don't remember most of his advice because it was a year ago and we don't have any dug ponds on our property.

The one ting I do remember is to prevent/remove sloping banks on your ponds. The older ducks can get out of a straight (vertical) bank.

6. norsefilly

norsefilly New Egg

May 10, 2016
    That makes sense. Unfortunately the pond was already there when we bought the house and it's pretty big so it would take a lot of work to change all of it. Thank you!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by