Ducks attend Family Reading Night

tia

Crowing
14 Years
Apr 19, 2009
Valdez, Alaska
I took 5 of my ducks to school for "Family Reading Night." We live in Alaska, children in our community don't get much of an opportunity to see domestic ducks up close. I put down a big blue tarp on the floor and zip tied these fence panels together a fellow duck keeper friend of mine gave me. Then I threw a little straw in and a water bucket, and added five runner ducks. I also brought a bag of peas, so students could feed my ducks. (not too many though) I haven't added the pictures with the students because I can't put them online - but imagine a bunch of little kids all around the duck fence feeding and petting the ducks. My ducks took it real well and weren't freaked out at all. I brought a pile of picture books to read to the students, but they were having so much fun with the ducks we never got to the books - maybe next time.

28584_family_reading_night_005.jpg

28584_family_reading_night_003.jpg

28584_family_reading_night_002.jpg

We didn't get to the books this time. The kids were so focused on the ducks, it would have been really hard to get their attention. I will probably do it again next year, maybe have an area outside the "duck room" to share books with them. I think that will work.

Back
Top Bottom