Ducks being messy

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Newfarmer36, Mar 12, 2018.

1. Newfarmer36

Newfarmer36 Songster

Dec 31, 2017
    West Monroe, Louisiana
    I bought a duck Thursday that's laying eggs. I went into the coop yesterday and found one laying in the middle of the floor that was absolutely filthy!! My chickens lay their eggs in the enclosure in their coop. It's very spacious and more than big enough for the duck to go in.

Most of the time, my chicken eggs are clean and pretty. So I'm not used to seeing eggs dirty like this.

My coop is pretty much always clean so I don't know how she got it this filthy!

Are all ducks like this?!

Riche Bronson and Farmer Connie like this.
  2. TeeMom

TeeMom Songster

Jul 26, 2016
    Kansas
    Yep! This is normal for ducks. Pretty much everything they do is messy. I have floor level nest boxes that I keep nice and clean for them, but they rarely use them. Instead they like to lay where ever the most poop is...or wait until I let them out and lay in the middle of the yard for the dogs to gobble up.

Duck Lover88 likes this.
  3. Newfarmer36

Newfarmer36 Songster

Dec 31, 2017
    West Monroe, Louisiana
    Is it maybe like a defense mechanism or something?!

4. TeeMom

TeeMom Songster

Jul 26, 2016
    Kansas
    I don't think so...I think it's just an effect of being wet and making mud wherever they go. When I can actually get them to lay in a nest box, their eggs usually are clean, but they prefer to lay where they are and naturally those spots are already covered in poo after bedding down there all night.

5. Newfarmer36

Newfarmer36 Songster

Dec 31, 2017
    West Monroe, Louisiana
    That makes sense! Thank you!

TeeMom likes this.
  6. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Hello...I provide deep shavings for my Ducks and a bit of straw in an area. They dig a hole and lay their eggs in that. Then the eggs are clean..:frow

7. Newfarmer36

Newfarmer36 Songster

Dec 31, 2017
    West Monroe, Louisiana
    I have about 4 feet of shavings in the coop. Lol. I went in today and found the egg she laid this morning. It was in the enclosure where there's no dirt, mud or poop. It was still dirty. Lol

Animal family likes this.
  8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

I would be totally surprised if my ducks laid an egg and I found it clean and I use deep litter and keep my coops clean. :hmm

Newfarmer36 likes this.
  9. pamelajean

pamelajean Songster

Aug 3, 2017
    British Columbia
    My ducks dug out a nest in the shavings on one end of their house (deep litter pine shavings). They never poop over there and most eggs are pristine! Sometimes there is a feather or a piece of wood shavings stuck to it and that is all really. I'm considering myself lucky.

10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

Yep!! lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: