Ducks-best pets?

It depends on the indivadal bird. Some muscovies for example are very tame and will eat out of your hand and other will chase you down and attack. Where breeds where you thinking?

Hi Melinda, if you mean diaper wearing housepets, pekins or female muscovys are the most people friendly. a close third is the khaki campbell who can become so bonded they cry when you leave the room. mind you, a pet duck can live 15-20 years so be sure you fully understand the care requirements and environment and your own level of committment to the duck. each year I get about a dozen throwaways from people who think owning a duck would be "cool". duck diapers can be purchased from the goose mother in columbus ohio area. search online for it

Bill

Quote:
they make diapers for ducks!!! Oh do you have a pic I would love to see. I never knew they had such a thing, the ducks dont take them off? how often do you change them? how on earth do you get them to wear them. I am so curious!

Muscovies are the best ducks!! Both my male and females come up and "talk" to me. And none of them are aggressive, however I can see how they could be mistaken for that by the noise they make. My blue female walks up to me with her mouth wide open "talking" to me. She makes a hissy type of noise so it freaks some people out. But she is a baby doll!!

If you raise a duckling from an egg, and it imprints on you, then you will have a friend for life.
I LOVE call ducks. They are tiny and the most adorable creatures you will ever see. If you can manage to hatch call ducks, you will be the happiest duck parent around. The babies are tiny, and they run so fast! They will chase you all around the house, if they think you are "mom". And they are so small, you can cuddle with them on the couch and watch tv. Once they are grown, they are still little, so their pen does not have to be as big as other ducks. Some people keep them in pens that resemble a rabbit hutch....that works too, if you don't have lots of space for a large enclosure.
Calls are messy, just like any duck. The females are very loud, so if you live with neighbors, maybe you don't want females! Every time we walk past the back door, my ducks start quacking their heads off! Even my original pair, which were not tame, are now trusting enough to eat from my hand. I recommend call ducks, because they are all-around excellent ducks!

Back
Top Bottom