Duck's Bill "Growth"

Hotspurious

Songster
7 Years
Dec 10, 2012
Quack, one of my Buff Orpington ducks, has in the last month developed a growth of sorts on her bill. (See pic) After researching this forum and via Google, I'm still unsure as to what it is, why it formed or, most importantly, how to treat it.

She exhibits no other symptoms with the growth; no pain, no tenderness, no listlessness, no loss of appetite, etc... Just the growth (so far). The growth itself is obviously darker than the rest of her bill and typically wetter (slicker?); ever so slightly elevated.

We have had a change in seasons out here in CA with quite a bit of rain and she and her running mate have been extensively hunting bugs, slugs, etc...

Anybody have Buffs - or other ducks - that have experienced this type of issue? Remedies? Insights? I'm a long term chicken owner so duck illnesses and issues are new to me.

Any advice/help would be very appreciated.

- Hotspurious

Quack_zpsw1kjlayt.jpg

I have 3 buff ducks and have never seen this in mine before. It almost looks like some kind of gunk got on it. Don't try to scrape it off...it might cause greater damage or open up a way for infection, but is there anyway for you to maybe take a paper towel and try and "wipe" it off?

Hmmm, I haven't seen anything like this either. It almost looks like she got into some kind of adhesive that stuck and dried to her bill. I'm guessing you tried to wash it off with soap and warm water and didn't come off.

Hmmm, I haven't seen anything like this either. It almost looks like she got into some kind of adhesive that stuck and dried to her bill. I'm guessing you tried to wash it off with soap and warm water and didn't come off.

Cayuga, I did indeed. I went so far as to use a vibrating toothbrush and soapy water to gently try to remove the growth - thinking at first it was simply something stuck to her. Unfortunately... No joy. I believe it's a growth.

Back
Top Bottom