Duck's Bill "Growth"

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Hotspurious, Jan 15, 2019.

1. Hotspurious

Hotspurious Songster

Dec 10, 2012
    Quack, one of my Buff Orpington ducks, has in the last month developed a growth of sorts on her bill. (See pic) After researching this forum and via Google, I'm still unsure as to what it is, why it formed or, most importantly, how to treat it.

She exhibits no other symptoms with the growth; no pain, no tenderness, no listlessness, no loss of appetite, etc... Just the growth (so far). The growth itself is obviously darker than the rest of her bill and typically wetter (slicker?); ever so slightly elevated.

We have had a change in seasons out here in CA with quite a bit of rain and she and her running mate have been extensively hunting bugs, slugs, etc...

Anybody have Buffs - or other ducks - that have experienced this type of issue? Remedies? Insights? I'm a long term chicken owner so duck illnesses and issues are new to me.

Any advice/help would be very appreciated.

- Hotspurious

[​IMG]

2. happy duck

happy duck Crowing

Mar 24, 2018
    Small town
    My Coop
    I have 3 buff ducks and have never seen this in mine before. It almost looks like some kind of gunk got on it. Don't try to scrape it off...it might cause greater damage or open up a way for infection, but is there anyway for you to maybe take a paper towel and try and "wipe" it off?

3. Cayuga momma

Cayuga momma We are the makers of our own history.

Mar 13, 2018
    Western NY
    Hmmm, I haven't seen anything like this either. It almost looks like she got into some kind of adhesive that stuck and dried to her bill. I'm guessing you tried to wash it off with soap and warm water and didn't come off.

happy duck likes this.
  4. Hotspurious

Hotspurious Songster

Dec 10, 2012
    Cayuga, I did indeed. I went so far as to use a vibrating toothbrush and soapy water to gently try to remove the growth - thinking at first it was simply something stuck to her. Unfortunately... No joy. I believe it's a growth.

WannaBeHillBilly likes this.
  5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia John 3:16

@casportpony ever seen anything like this? I sure haven’t.

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General

What's the shiny stuff around her nostril?
    is the growth sort of hard?

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  7. Cayuga momma

Mar 13, 2018
    Western NY
    Is a vet an option?

8. Hotspurious

Hotspurious Songster

Dec 10, 2012
    Yes, shy of someone here knowing what that is on her beak and how best to address it, I believe that's my very next option. I have a good local vet.

9. Cayuga momma

Mar 13, 2018
    Western NY
    Atleast a vet might be able to take a sample of it to try to find out what it is.
    Please keep us updated! I'm hoping the best for your ducky!

casportpony and Miss Lydia like this.
  10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia John 3:16

I know I’ve been here since 2009 and I’ve never seen that. Since she is doing all things normal hopefully it’s something the vet can take care of pretty easy. Please keep us updated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: