Ducks Bill?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by rusman81, Jan 26, 2012.

1. rusman81

rusman81 New Egg

Jan 26, 2012
    Hello,
    I got a question. My father has 5 ducks. 3 weeks ago something bite off one of the ducks bill. We dont know what did this. We feed her on the water and she eats fine. Yesterday my dad went out side and found another duck with her bill bite off. I need help from anyone that has any ideas what is doing this. Please help! We dont want the others to happen the same

2. Tivona

Tivona Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Oregon
    [​IMG]
    Were the ducks locked in a pen? I have heard of raccoons reaching through a fence grabbing a bird and injuring or killing them. Biting the heads. [​IMG] You could check the Predators and pests section of the forums and post there. Some there might have a better idea. https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/13/predators-and-pests
    I lost birds to predators and its horrible. I hope you find the cause and can keep the birds safe.

3. bexnd

bexnd Out Of The Brooder

Jan 18, 2012
    could it b a cat. we only have problems with foxes here but generally they take off the head or half the neck as i've seen b4 poor thing

4. bexnd

bexnd Out Of The Brooder

Jan 18, 2012
    that or is there something living by the water giant water rats or something i dunno what you have in the way of preditors over there

5. rusman81

rusman81 New Egg

Jan 26, 2012
    They roam around freely, mainly stay on our pond. We have lost ducks before while they are on a nest from coyotes. If something just bite off theirs bills and not eat the ducks. I am just confused.

6. bexnd

bexnd Out Of The Brooder

Jan 18, 2012
    this is y i think it could be something smaller thats made a grab for the first thing it can get i wouldnt have thought i'd get much in the way of a meal from the beak would b a bit chewy so i recon it tried failed and tried again prob sneaking up while theyre sleeping

7. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    What about snapping turtles?

I would change the way I manage the ducks. This would be too much for me to keep doing the same thing and risk further injury.

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member

[​IMG]

I am thinking snapper too, they will also bite off feet so I think you need to do some turtle hunting and fast.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by