DUCKS BLEEDING!! HELP ANYONE!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by TriplettFamily, Mar 21, 2013.

1. TriplettFamily

TriplettFamily New Egg

Jan 6, 2013
    I have 4 Pekin Ducks and all 4 have recently started bleeding at the end of there wings. Its strange because they all are exhibiting this behavior. They have been in with the chickens since they were one week old and they are now 2 months. I am very concerned about them but I just don't understand what is going on. Is it that the chickens are pecking them or is this something like a disease. Anyones advice would be much appreciated! I just don't want to see Huey, Dewey, Luey and Stewart die! Please help!

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    When did this start and how long has it been going on? Could be the chickens are pecking on them, the blood feathers are starting to come in and they are probably pretty tasty to the chickens, I'd remove the ducks and treat by wash the tips and putting something like triple antibiotic on the wounds nothing with pain reliever in it. a Xlarge dog crate would work, but ducks and chickens penned together doesn't always work out so you may want to consider giving the ducks their own house and run. Pics would be good too so we can see exactly what your talking about.

3. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    I agree with Miss Lydia, someone is picking at their growing feather tips. I would say seperate them from the chickens and if it continues then it is the ducks that are doing this. Typically, feather picking/eating is caused by protein deficiency, boredom, too much harsh light, overcrowding, improper temps, or lack of green feed.

What are they eating?
    How large is the coop and how many chickens do you have?
    Do they get out to forage?
    Are you still using a heat lamp? If so, what are the temps where they are?

4. TriplettFamily

TriplettFamily New Egg

Jan 6, 2013
    This just started yesterday. They are in a coop that is 12' by 8' with two runs. One on each side. One run is about as big as the coop and the other is much larger, about 25' by 10'. There are 26 chickens in the coop ranging from 8 weeks to one year old. I recently got 2 year old silver laced wyndottes and I just saw one of them pecking at the wounded wings.They are eating the same as the chickens, medicated chick starter, pellets and scratch. Thank you guys so much for your advice. One person has suggested pulling out the broken feathers. Is that a good idea?

5. TriplettFamily

TriplettFamily New Egg

Jan 6, 2013
    Oh and I am going to try and snap some pics and post them too.

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I wouldn't pull out the feathers. let them heal and grow all the way out till you can trim off the wounded part which should be healed by then. then when they molt. all new feathers.

7. TriplettFamily

TriplettFamily New Egg

Jan 6, 2013
    Well my camera was dropped in the lake last year and it has finally kicked the bucket.....tonight :( So I separated the ducks. I put them in an extra large dog crate for the night. I also put some polysporin on there little wings. Thank you guys again for the advice...My kids and I really enjoy our boys and would hate to see them die.

8. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Okay, it seems like you have enough space, a proper diet and they are getting outside. It could be boredom, it could have happened by accident and it then continued.

I had a few of my last muscovy ducklings that started feather picking. The blood feathers bleed but it is unlikely that they would die from this. I ended up seperating 3 of my 13 that were the culprits. I increased their protein level with cat food and waited until the wing feathers grew in before putting them back. My chickens actually never picked at the ducklings when they were bleeding but they were raised by their mom who was VERY protective.

For me, it would clear up overnight. I didn't actually do anything to stop the bleeding other then remove the pickers. They will preen and clean themselves. IF you find them freshly bloody in the morning, then you will need to keep a close eye on them and find out who is doing it. If all are bleeding, at least 2 are picking. When I seperated my pickers, they never picked at each other.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by