Ducks bobbing heads?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by BigBlock, Oct 4, 2012.

1. BigBlock

BigBlock Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2012
    I have a magpie duck and a runner mix that are about 4 months old. (females) Lately they've started looking eachother in the face and bobbing their heads up and down. It's hilarious to watch, I'm just curious what they are doing? Is this some kind of mating thing? (and they don't realize they're both girls?)

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Yup, hormones are kicking in. Girls just wanna have fun, ya know. This is a clue to start giving them extra calcium, since eggs are probably within a month of showing up.

Congratulations!

3. BigBlock

BigBlock Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2012
    Do you think they'll start laying this year? I thought they'd probably wait until spring since it's getting kind of late...

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I tell ya, BigBlock, ducks confound me. They might wait till spring, they might start in a month or two. They do not apparently read the books or follow the program.[​IMG]

5. duckiesrule

duckiesrule Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2012
    Western Massachusetts
    Hey, I just saw my runners doing that this morning!

How old are yours, BigBlock? Mine were hatched in mid-May (May 14ish).

6. clbarley

clbarley Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2012
    Clatskanie, Oregon
    My girls do it all the time! I think its really cute and funny! I first noticed it when they were in the pool before "mating" started....

7. iluvsedward

iluvsedward Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2010
    Calvert county MD
    my Campbells did that to me when i walked by, I thought it was some sort of recognition thing

8. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    Mine started that kind of diddly bop before mating.

Guaranteed that every time I dump their pool and refill, we get a show of head bopping. It is like filling the little pools just brings out the dance (and of course the mating). My welsh harlequins were the youngest and they just joined in last week or so. Such curious creatures!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by