ducks bonded to wrong breed?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jujubean99, Jan 18, 2011.

1. jujubean99

jujubean99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    I have 4 ducks, a boy and a girl of each kind and I was planning on letting them have ducklings this coming spring, but unfortunately they have bonded to the wrong breed, the silver appleyard boy to the australian spotted girl and vice versa. any ideas on how to make them bond to the other breed or is it a done deal, i dont want to make them unhappy!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Seperate pens- preferably where they can not see one another, and be prepared for a lot of complaining if you do so.

3. MysticalMom

MysticalMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    In my flock it seems that brood mates "bond" to brood mates. I had a SA/Khaki drake that thought he was a muscovy because he brooded with muscovy. When it's time I want pure eggs I'll just separate them. They make a fuss at first and I feel kinda bad, but they eventually get the job done. [​IMG]

4. kangababy

kangababy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Alabama
    I would try to seperate them. I am having the same problem with my Exotic waterfowl but I don't have a different pen to put them in.
    I have a silver wood duck hen that has bonded with a Manadrin and my bond that I don;t know what to do about is a White Wood Duck Drake with a Silve Wood Duck Drake... I am ready for some ducklings!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by