ducks breed mixing?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by bhazell123, Jun 6, 2011.

1. bhazell123

bhazell123 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Welsh La
    just wandering if you could mix breeds of ducks like people do with chickens lol soo i was wandering could you mix a muscovy witha runner ?

2. elmacri

elmacri Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    Spain
    I´m not sure but i do know that my moscovy ducks never breed with my mallards. Infact they are happy to share the same pen but they never hang out in the same group . [​IMG]

3. FarmrGirl

FarmrGirl MooseMistress

Jul 1, 2009
    Southern Maryland
    Quote:2x. I know that there are Muscovy x mallard mixes out there but my Muscovy's don't hang out with or attempt to breed with my mallard types - they have a tendency to pinch the Runner's little butts in order to get to the front of the line at the drinker. I get the impression that the Muscovy feel all my other ducks are inferior - LOL! [​IMG]

4. elmacri

May 2, 2011
    Spain
    inferior. [​IMG] yes mine treat others like that, they push and shove their way through life. I once had a muscovey on its own and it still wouldn´t mix. Now i have loads and only 3 mallards one male and two female, that it untill my five eggs in the incubator begin to hatch next week [​IMG]
    I had quails hatch last week, little chicks this week so am keeping fingers crossed forr the ducklings too. [​IMG]

5. bhazell123

bhazell123 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Welsh La
    okies just wandering was hoping i could get the best of both worlds lol

6. aineheartsyou

aineheartsyou Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Dixie, WA
    in theory, yes you could breed a scovy to a runner. the results would be infertile mule ducks

7. DuckiesAndBees

DuckiesAndBees Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Our muscovy girl hatched out some muscovy runner crosses for us. At that time we only had the two ducks so they were stuck with each other! Not sure if the male muscovys are particular about their mates, but our indian runner wasn't!

8. elmacri

May 2, 2011
    Spain
    Quote:Thats intresting as i think i may have had some of those before............. [​IMG]
    I bought 10 ducklings at a local farm shop here and they couldn´t tell me what they were, as they grew they looked a lot like muscovies but didnt seem to be either male or female,
    They ended up in the pot in the end but they tasted great.
    I did go back and say to the shop that they seemed different but they couldnt tell me anymore about it. fingers crossed the latest 7 i have from there are not the same.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by