Duck's bury there eggs

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by mrbuch, Mar 30, 2015.

1. mrbuch

mrbuch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2014
    Why are my ducks bury there eggs and why is it only the drakes seem interested in the nest. Very new to ducks we enjoy them but would also like to understand them any advice would be greatly appreciated Thank you

2. Kaessa

Kaessa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2015
    Fruita, CO
    They do it to hide the eggs and keep them warm. At least that's what I've always assumed with mine.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
  3. chess0125

chess0125 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2015
    Utah
    This is our first year with adult ducks, my female has been laying daily for two months and the drake is the one who always guards the nest and gets mad if someone approaches. And yes the eggs are typically buried (for camouflage I guess) but this morning the hen finally started sitting on the nest so YAY! I guess when she decided it's time then she takes her turn paying attention? Who knows what they think ;-)

4. Kaessa

Kaessa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2015
    Fruita, CO
    As my husband (constantly) says, "Ducks are weird."

5. mrbuch

mrbuch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2014
    They are pekin drakes and swed females and 1 pekin female I have read that they dont normally go broody I guess i will just have to wait and see I now have a hen that has been showing some interest in the nest first come first serve I guess Thank's for the info

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by