Ducks change in behavior, even most affectionate bonded duck runs away now

Mushishi

In the Brooder
Jan 8, 2021
hello, I've got a question I'm hoping you all can answer or have some experience with. I've got a flock of 12, 11 golden 300s (skittish breed) and one a muscovy that was my first duck that bonded with humans heavily. I had to move out to a new house lately and I couldn't take the ducks with me, so I left them with my uncle who actually originally bought them but I took the most care of them. I come back after a week to visit and all of a sudden, its like they've never met me before. Even the muscovy, who would bob her head and come for pets everytime she saw me, ran away. This is really confusing and saddening to me. Has anybody had this happen to them? Is there perhaps something wrong with their care?

mine have done fine with i’ve been away for 2+ weeks, they have pretty good memory so i’m not sure what’s happening
Yeah, I'm very confused too, they've never stayed this far away from me before and I spend a good amount of time with them and other family members also spend some time with them, handling them a bit.

Are they having any sort of human interaction? Maybe they just need some closer visits with you and a nice handful of dried mealworms to help with memory.

Hmmm that could be an issue, ill have to ask my uncle about it since he's the one who's taking care of the ducks since I moved out but thats definitely something to look into.

Thank you both for your replies by the way:thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom